White Rock Cornish x meat birds

Mine are kept in coop at all times and they still aren't too loud. The cockrels get bigger than the pullets for the most part so if you are getting them for the speed and size I would go for the males. As for fighting I think mixing them would be best less of a "pecking" order when the females are in there. :)

Mine are kept in coop at all times and they still aren't too loud. The cockrels get bigger than the pullets for the most part so if you are getting them for the speed and size I would go for the males. As for fighting I think mixing them would be best less of a "pecking" order when the females are in there. :)
So your roosters dont start getting to noisy before there butchered? Worried about people around me.

Last edited:
I never had any crow or make adult chicken noises. They just cheap like chicks. I butchered at 8 weeks (waited WAY too long). My largest male was 15#s and smallest female was 6.5 #s. I pastured mine with full feed. I did have my 2nd largest male die of heat stroke but it was in the middle of july. I will only raise spring and fall flocks now. They dont do well in heat.

Edit to add my weights were live weights before butcher, I took them to get butchered and they were frozen when went to pick them up. My family joked about the big males being turkey sized :)

Last edited:
These birds are bred to be very docile and are harvested long before f
They are mature. You will see as they grow they are unlike a normal chicken they have large short legs and very wide bodies not exactly designed to roam great distances. 100 sq feet minimum is enough to house 50 birds. You will need about 600 lbs of high protein meat bird food also.

Does any one know if its a white rock hen with a Cornish roo or the other way around? I have white rock hens and was considering getting a Cornish roo..

The Cornish Cross chicken is the result of alot of very selective breeding. The word on the street is that there are 4 flocks of birds kept and carefully crossed to produce these chicks.
How I understand it: Two flocks are kept just to produce the roosters and the other two flocks are crossed to produce the hens. Then the rooster and the hen are mated to produce the Cornish Cross BROILER chicks that are sold and being raised for meat.
IF THIS IS WRONG, PLEASE CORRECT ME.

These birds are so far gone from the original breeds that they shouldn't even be called Cornish x Rock birds anymore. And buying a pure Cornish and mating it with a pure Rock will not produce the same growth rate and feed conversion of the purchased chicks. It may produce a decent meat bird, although it will most likely not have the same large quantity of breast meat.

I have purchased some white rock cornish x and am wondering at what age they should be butchered and also, they are almost two weeks old and are currently on chick starter feed; should they be switched to something else for feed at some point and should they have access to their food 24/7 ?

Back
Top Bottom