White Rock Developing faster

audrey02026

Songster
8 Years
Mar 25, 2011
Dedham, Ma
Hi All,

I have question. I have 2 Barred Rocks, 2 RR Reds, I black Astrolorp, 2 Golden Comets and 1 White Rock. My question is this. They are all the same age about 5-6 weeks old but the white rock has a very red and quite large Comb and waddle already while none of the other pullets have anything but a very small slightly yellow or orange come that you can barely notice. Is it that white rocke develop quicker or is it that the white rock could be a roo. It has Huge legs as well.

I don't have any white rocks but I do have barred rocks and partridge rocks also from the "plymouth rock family" and they seem to develop at about the same rate. Can't say for sure without some pictures, but it sounds as though you may have a rooster in your small flock. They generally tend to feather out slower then the pulets will and their tails feathers are usually shorter for quite some time, hope this helsps. If you can post a picture perhaps that would help, and you can post it under the what breed, or gender am I section.... many people check that often to give their opinion, Good Luck!

Here is a pic of her/him not the best pic but hope it helps

83885_img_1595.jpg

Are you sure your White Rock is only 5-6 weeks? I have 2 White Rocks at 8 weeks and neither of them are not even close to being as developed as that chicken. I am also pretty sure I have both a male and a female and by the looks of your White Rock, it looks like a female. My female's body is very similar to yours while my possible (98% sure) is very leggy and tall with no tail. Neither of my White Rocks have combs or waddles like that. My possible Roo's comb is taller and a little pinker compared to my girl.

I'm still amazed at the development at 5-6 weeks...

I hope not....I wanted to get eggs not meat...I couldn't kill any of them. I ordered white rock...although I did order and they only sent one so anything is possible

I can't be sure of the breed as I ordered them online and this is my first time raising chickens. I just checked the date I got them again they are actually 7 weeks old. But still none of the others are as developed as this one.

I was wondering the same as the legs look pretty short (in the second picture) in comparison to the red chicken in the background, all I can do is offer a guess and based on his/her shape and full tail I'd go with pullet. Very pretty one at that, I think she? may be a white rock afterall. Hope someone else can help you better, maybe someone more familiar with the white rocks!

Back
Top Bottom