White Rock refusing to eat/move

jedidja

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 24, 2009
Kensington, PEI
Hi,

I have 36 white rocks (I believe they're the same as Cornish Cross, or very similar) in an 8x8 pastured poultry pen. (As an aside, there's tons of extra room in there - 50 would have fit nicely - pic here http://www.flickr.com/photos/36013428@N08/3643090851/)

Anyway, they have been outside for five days now, and the last two or three days when I go to move the pen, there is always one stuck at the back that refuses to move. I have to go around to the other side, lift up the pen, and shove her along.

This morning I noticed that she is looking quite small compared to the others and wondered if she had stopped eating. I took her out and put her in front of a full food dish (they are always starving in the mornings) and she only took a couple bites before sitting down again.

I noticed her haunches (?) have bruises on them so I can only assume that she's been spending a lot of time resting on them.

Any advice as to what I could do? Her leg does not appear broken, as she can take a few steps, but after that she seems to get lazy and just sit down again.

Many thanks,
Jedidja

how old are they and how long have they been outside in the tractor? also does she stay hunched over with her wings drooped and look ruffled? if so she might have cocci.that is normally the first sign of it. I would seperate her. I have 2 white rocks left they did not show the signs of cocci til I lost my firs one. and white rocks are not the same as cornish x rocks. the hens are used in the production of the cornish x they wil grow like a normal chicken they grow fast at first and then they will slow down. Cobbs cornish x and fredom rangers red broiler and dark broiler are normal meat chickens. white rocks are a duel purpose bird. but that is beside the point. check her droppings for blood . I had just put mine on the ground 3 days before they started dying off. now I only have 2 left one is alot smaller than the other it really stunted her growth but I am going to keep her anyway just use her eggs for eating purposes only. I hatched out 9 more that are a 2 weeks old tomorrow. I hope to get a roo cause all mine died with the cocci. right now I have 3 hens and they are too young to lay 2 are 14 weeks now and the other should start laying anytime.

They are four weeks and a day old, and today is their fifth day in the tractor.

Thanks for the advice; I was thinking about putting her in the shed by herself to see how she fared. If it is cocci then I need to start moving the pen more often as well.

if it cocci you need to get them on some sulmet or amproyl(corrid) they will drop like flies with it. It is very contagous and can stunt their growth. also some probiotics ( plain yogart no sugar added ) helps put the good bacteria back in their intestines. do you have a picture of her or you can search to see what a chick with cocci looks like and see if that is what she is doing

If they have only been outside and on grass for a week, I guess a couple of days on Sulmet in their water for worming might be a choice.

But also, what about cold and wet?

There is nothing like change and stress to make young birds go down.

Meat birds who grain weight quickly frequently have leg problems due to the ways hatcheries now breed their birds for quick human consumption.

JMO

Yes, they only got one full day of sun when they went out, followed by cloudy/rain, rain, and now it's getting nice again. I've moved the sick-looking one to the shed with her own food/water. Will see about Sulmet too.

Back
Top Bottom