White rocks good for a meat bird?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ging3rhoffman, Apr 15, 2009.

1. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    I was wondering if white rocks are a good meat bird. In a few weeks we are going to have our first batch (a dozen) butchered and I wanted to get a new batch of meat chicks and didnt know what to order. Any suggestions? I wanted to get a couple of pullets this time and keep one rooster so I'm real curious what everyone else uses for meat birds. Thanks

2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Our buff rock rooster at 16 weeks was large in size but very thin compared to a meat bird. We ordered 25 colored free rangers from JM hatchery for meat birds. They are supposed to be ready to process at 12 weeks and don't have the problems the cornish have.

3. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Thank you so much for the reply. We are going to look into a hatchery close to us and see if they have the colored free rangers.[​IMG]

4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    A classic dual purpose bird!

Long before the modern hybrid meaties came along, the White Plymouth Rock was HIGHLY regarded as a meat bird.

They were most renowned for their creamy white skin and light pin feathers, which gave the carcass a clean fresh look that appealed too many. Other, non-white birds dont share these attributes

Before anyone had ever heard of Cornish Crosses or Tricolor "range broilers," the White Plymouth Rock was a king among poultry.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by