White Rocks

fwschrom

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 20, 2010
Hayden Idaho
Has anyone raised White Rocks as meaties? I have 5 I got from Cackle Hatchery, one mistake roo. This are really big birds, no not Cornish X's but these were 14 June hatch dates and these are some of my
biggest birds.

Has anyone tried these as dual purpose meaties?

I am think of trying 50-100 next year. The cockrels are .49 ea at qty 100 and this is looking better every week as I watch these birds grow.

Thoughts, experiences?

Welcome to BYC for another Idahoan!!!

when I was a kid it seemed like that was what everyone raised for meat birds (just the standard white rock) and they got huge, not obese looking like the CX just huge.
I bought some to use in my breeding project from Dunlaps here in Idaho and am extremely disapointed in their size. Goin to be looking at them at the fair on Monday, well let you know what I see.

Last edited:
My one roo from cackle is a huge bird; 9 weeks old and the only other birds I have that size are my Light Brahma roos. Again just one roo but he is turning out super nice. The hens are bigger than the buff orpington cockrels I bought as meat birds.

I am out of space for this year, and Cackle is sold out, so its a next spring deal anyway, but I am keeping real close track of these white rocks to 14 -16 weeks. If the next 5-6 weeks work out like the last its pretty much my plan for meat birds next year.

I have eight barred rocks I got at the same time as the white rocks. They are nice sized birds but notas big as the white rocks. I only have hens on the barred but hen to hen between the white and the barred the whites are bigger. Could be that Cackle's whites are just bigger than their barred birds. I am not complaining about my barred rocks they just aren't as big as these whites.

Howdy to a fellow Idahoan.

Back
Top Bottom