White roo over black hens

you are more likely to get some black and some white. you may get some splashes but i know with some breeds like silkies and rosecombs, black and white make blue and blue with splashes with other blacks and whites.

do it and see what you get! let us know how the chicks look!

I was hoping to hear the blue answer!
lol.png

I picked my best hens to put with this guy so we shall see in about 3-4 weeks what we get.

When you breed white to anything other than white the results are completely unpredictable--could be anything, but most likely a mess.

There is no way to get splash if one parent is black.

In no case is the statement that black + white = blue correct.

For a very specific bird you may get blue from a black to white mating, but that is because of the genes carried by that individual white bird.

I'm not a genetics expert but I believe if the roo is dominant white you'll get all white chicks if it's recessive you'll get black ones. That is if the black or white aren't hiding any other genes.

Exaclty, you posted while I was typing mine. You're light years ahead of me on genetics questions.

Bi-racial?
idunno.gif
Sorry don't know - some of these genetics experts will chime in and tell you what to expect!! Good luck- If the colors don't come out as you like - I'm sure they'll still be great broodies!!

Ok I was really afraid it would be a mess!
th.gif

I don't know about the roo, because I just got him. He has WONDERFUL confirmation and I thought I could add "fullness" to my chicks. My hens have always produced black chicks, but I had a black roo.
wink.png
I never had any unexpected colors from my hens.

Thanks guys for all of the input. I will just have to wait patiently and see what hatchs

Back
Top Bottom