White secretion from vent

gwright6

Chirping
Sep 20, 2022
Hi I have a barred rock that has picked the feathers from her rear, and is very red. No open wounds. She has white secretion coming from the vent. Just had a chicken die from fly strike so I'm somewhat familiar with the final stages of that. I do not see any maggots or eggs around the vent of this barred rock. Can anyone tell me if this is the beginning of fly strike or something else. If it's fly strike I know the procedure for cure. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Current situation: All of her feathers s on her back side are pulled out, bottom is very red and yesterday I pulled out a soft egg shell. Today she has white and light yellow seeping out of her vent. I'll post a pic tonight when i can get a hold of her. My chickens free range and are out and about all day long, until bedtime.

Was the soft shell intact or was it just the membrane?

I'd get her started on Calcium asap, she may have another softie on the way that's hard to expel.
You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily for a week, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

Was the soft shell intact or was it just the membrane?

I'd get her started on Calcium asap, she may have another softie on the way that's hard to expel.
You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily for a week, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

Back
Top Bottom