White silkie, black dot

SeaGal4

Chirping
Sep 4, 2018
I have a white silkie hen with one black spot on her head. Is this a negative trait? Any info? Thanks

Attachments

• 20181023_081052.jpg
    20181023_081052.jpg
    546.2 KB · Views: 168
If she came from the same line as the male beside her, he's a paint, so she's carrying black (paint) genetics and that's what you are seeing coming through the dominant white. Heres a link to explain it better!

https://www.pto.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2793

Those two bred together will help start a nice paint flock, they look like nice quality so you have some nice offspring to look forward to!

Last edited:
If she came from the same line as the male beside her, he's a paint, so she's carrying black (paint) genetics and that's what you are seeing coming through the dominant white.

He looks like Splash to me, but could also be a paint. The pullet is indeed a paint. If he is paint, half their offspring will be too, but a quarter will be dom white, a quarter black. If he is splash, half their offspring will be blue, half will be blue paint.

They do look like good birds, and either way, the genetics ought to breed true. One can run BBS and paint in the same pen, though Splash and Paint can be difficult to tell apart, so if planning on breeding these to sell, I'd separate the paints out after test-breeding the cockerel.

Thanks for your input!! She is not his offspring. I got them separate. He is indeed a splash, not paint.

You think the white pullet is a paint? The one black dot is the only black on her.

Regardless these two silkies are inseparable I'll end up hatching a few eggs from them.

I don’t think she is a paint! If you are planning on exhibiting her just pluck it out! Sometimes white silkies get yellow bc of genetics of dirtiness. She is pretty though!

Back
Top Bottom