"White" Silkie Chicks?

racuda

Songster
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
North Carolina
What is up with the color of these chicks? I had 7 hatch today. The parents are both white. Here are the parents when they were just 4 months old:
IMG_1290copy.jpg

Okay, here are the chicks:

IMG_1628.jpg

Yes, I snuck a keet under her too!

IMG_1625.jpg

One looks almost like a buff and the other is a champagne color. The parents were kind of yellow when they were hatched, but not this extreme.

Last edited:
I had a chick hatch out weird like that this time too. It looks to be feathering in white. But it sure threw me for a loop at hatch. I was hoping it was a porcelian. But white is cool too. I don't know why it came out the way it did?

Quote:
i didnt see the buff one in the pic before, odds are these are just poorly bred birds that appear to be white but truly carry resessive genes of other colors, which shows in their offspring

Quote:
i didnt see the buff one in the pic before, odds are these are just poorly bred birds that appear to be white but truly carry resessive genes of other colors, which shows in their offspring

Chances are with this new pairing I've managed to pull buried color genetics out. Poor breeding? Isn't that just a tad presumptuous on your part? Some of the best breeders have crossed colors to pull out specific traits so your choice of using "poor breeding" is not warranted. Ask George Mahilk how he achieved what he did?

Quote:

Chances are with this new pairing I've managed to pull buried color genetics out. Poor breeding? Isn't that just a tad presumptuous on your part? Some of the best breeders have crossed colors to pull out specific traits so your choice of using "poor breeding" is not warranted. Ask George Mahilk how he achieved what he did?

true whites should produce whites, i assumed the birds were hatchery birds (my bad for assuming) that were just poorly bred, i understand crossing colors to improve a breed or trait, but if these were sold as "true whites", technically, in my opinion they should produce all white offspring if they were properly bred whites, i agree that i am being a bit presumptuous as to the quality of the birds, but like i said, my bad for assuming.

Many whites are hatched various shades of yellow and feather in white within a few weeks. I would say that nearly 100% of mine hatch like that. Example...the chicks below are 3 days old and are from solid white pairings...and they will feather in white.

9079_img_0156.jpg

if anyone is curious to experiment, take your newborn white silkies and either band them or seperate them by their color and see if ones of certain color down end up becoming better than the others type-wise, or maybe down color indicates sex, also to see which ones become a better "pure white" as opposed to a dunn white

Back
Top Bottom