"White" Silkie Chicks?

Yes, I saw this thread a while back and emailed her with some questions. We exchanged some information about this coloring. She has only males and I sent her some photos of a pullet, but since then I have had some more from this group that turned out to be pullets. The color is similar, but not exactly the same. I'll get some photos of some of the girls up when I have time to take a few.

Lavender and a Blue Grass Bantam boy. enjoy:)

oliverandviolet001.jpg

Two silver/smokey males. One is much younger and as you can see, as they molt out young white feathers, they are being replaced by new silver/smokey feathers.
This is the first male to start to molt so I do not yet know what the rest will do.

39105_wing_difference.jpg

39105_oldest_smokie_male.jpg

These are some of the young pullets. White next to them so color is more visible. Yeah, dirty girls, they have been playing outside today.

39105_smokey_pullet_3.jpg

39105_smokie_pulletfull_sister.jpg

39105_another_smokie_pullet_from_top.jpg

Well could be the lighting. They really do look like a lavender without the feather characteristics you find with lavender.
Oh and forgot to mention that these birds have a rather soft downy feather quality compared to other varieties:)

Last edited:
Yes, could be the lighting. Pullets were in the shade on some photos. I had Khaki polish at one time. I do not think it is Khaki and I know it is very difficult to evaluate color from a photo. Some colors must be seen with your own eyes. Friedeggs and I compared this color up against one of her beautiful pullets at a show and it was much closer to the lavender color on her pullet. Friedeggs is correct, it was one of the first things she noticed about the birds, the feather quality is unique. I have had silkies for 13 years and have never seen silkies with feathers like this. It is extremely soft and very fine. You can even see it in a photo when you compare the feathers in the tail of these two girls together.
39105_100_4801.jpg

Back
Top Bottom