WHITE SPOTS on comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cherylcohen, Dec 16, 2010.

1. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    Morning all, this is mildred, she has white specks on her comb. It can't be frostbite as we live in a temperate area in northern California.

I washed it and put iodine on it thinking it may be fowl pox. Her breathing is fine. Otherwise fine all around. about 1 1/2 years old

I think I just spotted on one other hen.... sigh (and yes I've had a manicure since these pics!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Fowl pox are dark scabs...I still think this looks fungal, but I'm not sure....[​IMG]

Well, crap - just found this online - apparently they DO start out white:

Pox (dry)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Incidence: common chicken ailment in some areas worldwide, especially in confined flocks in cold weather.

System/organ affected: skin

Symptoms: raised clear or whitish wart-like bumps on comb and wattles that grow larger, turn yellowish, and later becomereddish brown, grey, or black bleeding scabs appearing as singles or in clusters.

Cause: pox virus that affects a wide variety of birds and survives for many months on scabs and feathers of infected birds.

Transmission: through skin wounds, feathers and scabs from infected birds. Also spread by mites, mosquitoes, and wild birds.

Prevention: control mites and mosquitoes and vaccinate where pox is prevalent.

Treatment: none; isolate infected birds in uncrowded housing. Remove scabs around mouth and eyes where birds can eat.​

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It does look more fungal, but I'm not sure what you should use for it, hopefully someone that has delt with this will be able to help you.

4. linben

linben Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    It looks kind of fungal to me too but they are raised like fowl pox. I put iodine on the combs of mine when they got fowl pox. I had two that had it and vaccinated the rest. Iodine should prevent infection and keep the spot from being picked. Iodine may or may not cure fungal infections. It really depends on type of fungus (if it is fungal?). My chickens were fine and I only put iodine on a couple of days.

5. cherylcohen

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    Thanks for the info...anyone else?

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    fowl pox comes from mosquitos right, do you have them where you are at this time of year?............Looked up fungal infection and 2 times nystatin powder was recommended seems like there should be something topical that could be used to maybe check with feed store?

7. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    If you are in a temperate region it could well be fowl pox. My one hen got it presumebly from mosquitoes and they did start out white and then turn black after a while.

The iodine is a good idea it helps dry them up and it will go away by itself, however, you will need to give everything a good cleaning afterwards to get rid of the spores as the scabs drop off as it is infectious.

8. cherylcohen

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    ack...what a drag...ok yes I've seen some mosquitos...

Should I vaccinate the rest of the flock if they don't have it yet?

9. linben

linben Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I think it depends on your philosophy. I took the chance of vaccinating but I got the vaccine quickly and it only cost me 8.00 for 1000 doses. I shared with the neighbor. It may be too late, they may have been exposed. As long as it is dry pox it doesn't look good but my chickens did not change behavior or act ill at all (the ones that had it). I probally could have skipped and been fine but I didn't want to chance. Good luck.

10. cherylcohen

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    Mildred and the other girl are both laying almost daily...unlike the rest of my flock [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by