White spots on eggs?

Chickenman MAN

Songster
Oct 25, 2020
United Kingdom South Devon
Saw this for the first time on 2/4 of the eggs I collected today... anyone know what it is or if it is something to be concerned about? Btw I can't rub it off.

Attachments

• IMG-0302.JPG
    IMG-0302.JPG
    247.8 KB · Views: 17
'Speckled' eggs can happen for several different reasons...very few, if any, of which are a 'problem'.
Can be caused by:
Excess or uneven pigment coating.
Excess or uneven cuticle(bloom).
Excess calcium deposits.
Porous eggs can appear speckled.
Some birds lay them consistently, some only once in awhile.
The pigment or bloom can change appearance when wet, then change back when dry again.

As long as bird is getting a good diet and is healthy in every other way, it is no cause for concern.

'Speckled' eggs can happen for several different reasons...very few, if any, of which are a 'problem'.
Can be caused by:
Excess or uneven pigment coating.
Excess or uneven cuticle(bloom).
Excess calcium deposits.
Porous eggs can appear speckled.
Some birds lay them consistently, some only once in awhile.
The pigment or bloom can change appearance when wet, then change back when dry again.

As long as bird is getting a good diet and is healthy in every other way, it is no cause for concern.
They may well be eating too much calcium from the oyster shell.

The access calcium may be the cause especially if oyster shells are new and they eat more out of interest. They will figure it out otherwise. I rarely offer oyster shells unless I see an issue with soft egg shells. Many people leave it out as a free choice all year long.

Egg looks a bit rough, but these birds are ex-batts, so shell gland may be wonky.
I don't think eating too much calcium causes bumps on eggs, or calcium grit inside eggs, but more about how the bird processes what calcium they do eat.

The access calcium may be the cause especially if oyster shells are new and they eat more out of interest. They will figure it out otherwise. I rarely offer oyster shells unless I see an issue with soft egg shells. Many people leave it out as a free choice all year long.
I was washing an egg today (had mud on it) and was only gripping it lightly when it exploded... it was an odd shaped egg... almost pointy. How do I make stronger-shelled eggs?

I was washing an egg today (had mud on it) and was only gripping it lightly when it exploded... it was an odd shaped egg... almost pointy. How do I make stronger-shelled eggs?

Were the shell pieces a normal thickness?
Strange shapes can cause the shell to be weaker just because of the shape.

Do you know for sure it was a fresh egg? Eggs that got hidden for a while, and started to rot, are much more likely to explode. Even a very strong shell can explode if the inside is rotten.

Other than that, just letting the chickens have free-choice oyster shell usually works fine. A few rare chickens either won't eat the oyster shell or have some problem where they lay weak eggs anyway.

Back
Top Bottom