White Spots on Wattles. Is this bad?

BackyardBradshaw

Songster
Jan 26, 2021
Florida, USA
3 of my girls have developed white spots on their wattles over the past week. They seem to be fine, but I wanted to share on here to see if this may be an issue.
We recently bought a different type of food because they were out of our usual kind and I'm wondering if it's a nutrition deficiency.
Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 20220925_112237.jpg
    20220925_112237.jpg
    664.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220925_090603.jpg
    20220925_090603.jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 6
3 of my girls have developed white spots on their wattles over the past week. They seem to be fine, but I wanted to share on here to see if this may be an issue.
We recently bought a different type of food because they were out of our usual kind and I'm wondering if it's a nutrition deficiency.
Any suggestions?
Are you asking about the white on the ear lobe that you're stretching out? The wattles are lower and hanging from the chin.

If so then it's completely normal.. Often seen in cream colored or light tan eggs layers.. and definitely in hybrids.. like the sex links which she looks like.. So genetics and breed related.

What is your feed routine, including treats and supplements? It's worth discussing since you're concerned and changed it.

Silkies also cream colored layers have the same white layer over their dark skin on their ear lobes.. check out how they appear.. pic from google..
1664120405132.png

Hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

Last edited:
Are you asking about the white on the ear lobe that you're stretching out? The watt;es are lower and hanging from the chin.

If so then it's completely normal.. Often seen in cream colored or light tan eggs layers.. and definitely in hybrids.. like the sex links which she looks like.. So genetics and breed related.

What is your feed routine, including treats and supplements? It's worth discussing since you're concerned and changed it.

Silkies also cream colored layers have the same white layer over their dark skin on their ear lobes.. check out how they appear..
View attachment 3271182

Hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow
Thank you! I thought the wattles were everything hanging below the comb haha. So glad it's a normal thing. Omg that silkie is beautiful! We have a black silkie chick too. Can't wait to see how she grows.

Ah ok! I'm a new chicken mama and thought the wattles were all the dangling parts below their comb lol. Good to know its normal! Thank you!
No worries!

All us of were new at some point and there's so many things to learn!

Let's look are your photo. This is cool too.

If you gently lift and look behind that small tuft of feathers I have circled, that's her ear!
It won't hurt her if you take a look, you'll be able to see the ear canal :)

1664130599013.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom