White Wyandotte + RIR cross????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by stacibful, Jul 11, 2016.

1. stacibful

stacibful Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2015
    I have a 2-3 year old RIR roo and 1 year old White Wyandottes. What cross would this be? Sex links? I have two chicks that are 2 weeks old. They are feathering in white and a very light brown.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

What about RIR and Buff Rock cross? They have brown, black and white feathering similar to my Production Reds.

[​IMG]

2. stacibful

Apr 13, 2015
    Bump

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    It would be a RIR/Wyandotte cross.

4. stacibful

Apr 13, 2015
    Someone told me they'd be Red sex link.....

5. stacibful

Apr 13, 2015
    Someone said it would be a red sex link....

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    From Tim's sex link info thread....

* White Wyandottes and *White Plymouth Rocks are not a good choice. They sometimes have the correct genotype to produce sex linked chicks and at other times, they do not have the correct genotype to produce sex linked chicks. If a White Wyandotte carries the correct genotype, then the male down will vary in color: whitish, yellowish or even smoky white. The females produced from a Rhode Island Red and White Wyandotte cross can also vary in color from a striped gold down into a light buff color.

So, they may be and they may not, apparently. You'll have to grow them out and see. If they are sex linked, sounds like they're both cockerels.

the other cross is not sex linked at all. Red x Buff usually turns out an orange/gold color.

Here's a link to the whole thread. Don't worry about the massive size, all the good stuff is on that first post....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261208/sex-linked-information

1 person likes this.
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    good information

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by