Whitewash & Paint Question

Also, what kind/brand of hydrated lime? Links posted in older threads are either no good or no longer carried. I don't want to buy the wrong stuff.

Thanks!

Inside the coop- keeping things simple and I read that whitewash has some benefits.

Outside the coop- I figure if I'm going to whitewash some of the wood, might as well do it all and then paint what I want when its dry.

But I want to make sure that I can do that first. If not, then I'll just use paint on everything.

Whitewash is water soluble, painting over it will cause it to come off the wall and into your paint brush. Brush will soon be caked with sludge and unusable, your walls will be a lumpy mess.

I used whitewash inside my coop, brilliant stuff, cheap and resists bacteria. Also as long as it does not get wet, durable.

There are multiple kinds of lime available in a hardware store, some types are intended for use in the garden, cement, etc. For whitewash you want hydrated lime, any brand will work. I used DAP, I believe that brand is available in the US.

Last edited:
Hello! I know I'm replying a little late, but I wanted to offer some advice. The limewash has wonderful benefits, but it is water soluble. I recommend using the whitewash on the inside of the coop and using a 1:2 ratio of cheap white paint to water on the outside. You can then seal the outside with clear sealant to protect the wood even further. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom