Whitewash the Inside Of Your Coop: Recipe, Cheap and Easy

Hello all! Very new here :) We are building our first coop, and I'm wondering if we should paint the interior and then white wash over it? Would that be overkill or worth it? Thanks so much for the recipe!

Hello all! Very new here
smile.png
We are building our first coop, and I'm wondering if we should paint the interior and then white wash over it? Would that be overkill or worth it? Thanks so much for the recipe!

While I haven't seen that done, I don't see why it wouldn't work....the point of whitewash mostly is to reduce lice and mites, because of the properties of the lime. The shabby chic (shabby chick? lol) look is just secondary...I would think you would get the same benefits over paint. Now, if you are using a gloss paint, it might be harder to get the whitewash to stick...flat might work better, and adding the optional glue would help it stick too. Just my thoughts!

And in any event whatever you decide, do let us know your results and how it worked!

Now in my head there is a picture of a coop interior painted palest green with a whitewash over it...might be a truly pretty effect!
droolin.gif

Oh! And
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Hi all! So happy I stumbled upon this post in my search for herbs to add to coops and runs. My coop project is being wrapped up this weekend, so I'll start the hunt for white wash ingredients now. I'll post pictures and let you know my results! Let me know what herbs you prefer to use and have had the best luck with. These gals are headed out in the next couple weeks :)

That's awesome! Definitely post your results. Every day when I walk out to the coop I'm just so pleased with how it looks inside. I have dried herbs in my nesting boxes and coop floor (although I'm honestly not sure of the specific benefits.) I bought a bunch of dried herbs... 14 different varieties, based on an article that I saw about using herbs with chickens.

I posted here about trying the white wash. I haven't got to that yet. My coop is a work in progress. Outside is mainly finished. Today we added electric and vents. I put my chickens in already because they are getting so big. I still want to do the whitewash. Now I need to research dried herbs. Have no idea why those are used.

It's 50 degrees and rain all day. I know they say you shouldn't paint on a rainy day, but do you think it'd be ok to whiewash?

That should be warm enough to dry in that temp in a few hours...remember it is not exactly paint...it always takes a few hours to dry completely...I painted in 50 F and waited over night and it was dry the next morning....plus it is inside so if rain, that just means more air moisture so a bit longer to dry under those conditions...it WILL dry!!
old.gif

Last edited:
I finally got the time to do the whitewash.

It's still drying so it might get a bit whiter yet. I was going to do 2 coats since the coop is brand new, but it was such a messy process, I'm not sure I want to go through that again until next year. But I love how it all washes off my clothes and body easily.

Back
Top Bottom