Whiting True Blue Chicks

CluckNDoodle

Hatchaholic
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jan 12, 2019
Georgia
I'd love to get some opinions on one of my Whiting True Blue's, they're 8 weeks old and so far all look like pullets to me but because they were raised by a broody they won't let me get within 10 feet of them to do a thorough examination, lol. I have an adult True Blue that I raised last year and she also had a really long tail early but I was curious if others felt if the chick with a really fanned out tail still looks like a pullet. In the first image, it's the chick on top with the fluffy cheeks, same chick in the second image. The other chick is for comparison but I'm trying to keep in mind there is a wide variety of plumage with this breed, much like an Easter Egger.

8-19-19 8 wks old (4).JPG
8-19-19 8 wks old (6).JPG
8-19-19 8 wks old (7).JPG

Do yours both have muffs? Pea Combs?
I see what you mean about the difference with the tails.

Questioning what I got, they're 5mo and still no signs of laying. Got these from a friend that ordered WTB & WTG ... I chose two of each, going by the combs but now questioning what I got. The straight combs should be WTG while the pea combs should be WTB combs are in question. The WTB (2.75lbs) should weigh more than the WTG (3.5lbs & 4lbs) but it's reverse. The WTGs should be laying soon, all the signs are there but the WTB are far from ready. WTB should have muffs but the blue doesn't.

What do you all think?
1st pic the WTB on the right, muffed & think it's a bad example of a pea comb.
2nd pic the WTB on the left is the one in question, looks like rose comb or pea? No muff.
3rd pic - WTB on the ends & the 2WTG in center, their combs & wattles are big.
2019 Chickens - 12 Dark & Red.jpg
2019 Chickens - 12 Grey & Speckles.jpg
2019 Chickens - 12 Whitings 5mo.jpg

Last edited:

Questioning what I got, they're 5mo and still no signs of laying. Got these from a friend that ordered WTB & WTG ... I chose two of each, going by the combs but now questioning what I got. The straight combs should be WTG while the pea combs should be WTB combs are in question. The WTB (2.75lbs) should weigh more than the WTG (3.5lbs & 4lbs) but it's reverse. The WTGs should be laying soon, all the signs are there but the WTB are far from ready. WTB should have muffs but the blue doesn't.

What do you all think?
2nd pic the WTB on the left is the one in question, looks like rose comb or pea? No muff.
View attachment 1979549 View attachment 1979550 View attachment 1979551

They all look female. Colorful eggs in your future.

What do you all think?

The blue and tan one on the left looks like she has a rose comb rather than a pea comb.

What do you all think?

Yours are definitely all pullets! I have a Whiting's True Blue with blue plumage just like your pullet on the left but yours does appear to have more of a rose comb like suggested above. I'll try to get a picture of mine in just a bit.

@ChickNanny13 The first image is of my WTB hen that is now about 2 years old. She just went through a hard molt so her comb isn't as large or red as usual but her plumage is much like your hen's.

To answer your other questions about the muffs and beards, not all WTBs have them. This brown pullet is actually the ONLY one I have hatched that has muffs and a beard. I also think your rose comb pullet is likely still a WTB and some older genetics came through. That would probably just make her less desirable for breeding stock but I'm not even 100% positive of that because when the breed was being developed the primary goal was a production breed that laid eggs consistent in color. My 2-year-old WTB still lays almost daily (when she's not molting) and has surpassed my White Leghorn in laying frequency.

The second image is of the WTB that was previously in question because of the tail. She's definitely a pullet and her tail now looks appropriate. lol, She was actually the second pullet this year that I hesitated to believe was a pullet because she started with sickle-like tail feathers.

DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0028.JPG

Back
Top Bottom