Whiting True Blue from McMurray

Pics
I'm considering these. Allegedly they lay large blue eggs, are "best" layers and can free range.

Does anyone have thoughts on this breed, hatchery or specifically this breed from this hatchery?

I'm not sure yet how many I would order. I'm aware of their minimums.

The only reason I chose McMurray is that they sent us a catalogue so I'm not locked in on that if somewhere else is way better.

Anyone know their sexing accuracy? I'm not fussed about extra roosters in terms of having them but I'd prefer to not pay extra for girls and end up with boys, yknow.

Anyway. I've never ordered from a hatchery before so I'm all ears.
I have no comments on McMurray Hatcheries. I am from Canada and had an order placed with them, but when covid hit and the border was closed we could not get into the US to pick up our order so we had to cancel. McMurray was excellent that way. But the Whiting True Blues are on the wilder side. I bought eggs from a lady who had ordered chicks from McMurrays. The birds are beautiful - but wild. I would not let them free range, cause you might never find them again nor there beautiful blue eggs.

I love mine! I've had them for 2 and 1/2 years, lost two to predators because they kept flying over the fence & One I had to put down 2 weeks ago. I won't go into that.
They are more shy than the rest of my flock, and smaller. Don't get them if you can't protect them from above. They're good little foragers when they have to be but I prefer them to eat their feed and extras I give the flock to get them through molting.
They are terrific layers. for a small bird they lay a big egg and they are the most beautiful blue. they are my most consistent layers even at two and a half. I got them from McMurray, but they were developed by a poultry geneticist named Dr Tom Whiting. I'm sure you can get them elsewhere. I think McMurray does a pretty good job of sexing but I have accidentally gotten a male over the years. You can always sell them. To be honest, I've never ordered chicks from anywhere else. So I can't comment on other hatcheries. They do have minimums, but they've modified that. It's more expensive that way but I don't care. A few extra dollars for shipping is a small price to pay. Since I've had them and will order them again in the spring, ask me anything if I haven't answered your questions.

I have no comments on McMurray Hatcheries. I am from Canada and had an order placed with them, but when covid hit and the border was closed we could not get into the US to pick up our order so we had to cancel. McMurray was excellent that way. But the Whiting True Blues are on the wilder side. I bought eggs from a lady who had ordered chicks from McMurrays. The birds are beautiful - but wild. I would not let them free range, cause you might never find them again nor there beautiful blue eggs.
Not being able to find the eggs is a real concern, but I'm not afraid of them running away. Peafowl are way more wild than any chickens and ours come back haha. You have to keep the birds locked up for a month or two to teach them where food and water comes from (aka where home is), but they should come back.

I love mine! I've had them for 2 and 1/2 years, lost two to predators because they kept flying over the fence & One I had to put down 2 weeks ago. I won't go into that.
They are more shy than the rest of my flock, and smaller. Don't get them if you can't protect them from above. They're good little foragers when they have to be but I prefer them to eat their feed and extras I give the flock to get them through molting.
They are terrific layers. for a small bird they lay a big egg and they are the most beautiful blue. they are my most consistent layers even at two and a half. I got them from McMurray, but they were developed by a poultry geneticist named Dr Tom Whiting. I'm sure you can get them elsewhere. I think McMurray does a pretty good job of sexing but I have accidentally gotten a male over the years. You can always sell them. To be honest, I've never ordered chicks from anywhere else. So I can't comment on other hatcheries. They do have minimums, but they've modified that. It's more expensive that way but I don't care. A few extra dollars for shipping is a small price to pay. Since I've had them and will order them again in the spring, ask me anything if I haven't answered your questions.
Thank you! I dont want you to have to recall bad memories, but was your recent loss related to the breed?

I ordered 10 pullets from McMurray last spring. I only had 1 incorrectly sexed. They do lay true blue eggs and yes they all look different. I would say the eggs are more on the medium size and they are good layers. I believe the breed was created from crossing a white leghorn with an ameracauna. I like them and would order more. I also ordered Red Star pullets from McMurray and am pleased with them as well.

I'm thrilled to hear everyone had accurate or near accurate sexing. I can have roos and plan to order 1 roo of each so if I end up with a second one by mistake, it's not a huge deal.

We ordered 8 female only chicks, which included 2 Whiting True Blues from McMurray in July. One died several days after we got it, but that was due to our inexperience with chicks, probably. We didn't know what we were doing and probably could've intervened with her eating and drinking.
So, we are left with 6 hens, one of which is a WTB. She is almost 6 months old, hasn't laid an egg yet, but only 1 of our hens has. It's winter, so we don't have much sunlight. She looks very much like an Americauna and we are anxiously awaiting her blue eggs.
PS- they were all sexed correctly. We only ordered hens and received hens.

Attachments

• cheeks.jpeg
    cheeks.jpeg
    562.3 KB · Views: 8
So, we are left with 6 hens, one of which is a WTB. She is almost 6 months old, hasn't laid an egg yet, but only 1 of our hens has. It's winter, so we don't have much sunlight. She looks very much like an Americauna and we are anxiously awaiting her blue eggs.
PS- they were all sexed correctly. We only ordered hens and received hens.
My current girls are just starting to lay and they're even older so I'll take it haha

Back
Top Bottom