Whiting True Blue info

I managed to order some of them in time to get them this year, but it will be the middle of June. They look like *almost* just what I've been wanting (I'd prefer pea or rose combs, but their combs look pretty small in the pictures I've seen). I ordered twenty pullets and five cockerels -- if they do well for us, I'll get rid of the rest of my mixed flock, and just keep the True Blues. Pretty sure I could sell all the blue eggs I wanted to!

Kathleen
I just wanted to follow up with you about the combs. I have two 12 week old Whiting cockerels and they both have pea combs, which is surprising because they say single combs in the magazine. They are pretty friendly too. Not as sweet as the Red Stars but much friendlier than the White Leghorns.

I was really confused when I got my order of 25 Whiting true blue chicks. They all look so different. Some are blue, some are white with orange markings and some are black and so on. I was wondering if this was normal for the breed? I do not get feedback here so if anyone has any answers I would love to be emailed at NH Bradley and I am at Yahoo .com I would appreciate any feedback on this breed as I just got them this year. Thank you so much

The males are nasty. Almost as bad as my Copper Maran male rooster. Thats another area that my husband has to do as my Copper Maran rooster is also nasty. The waiting colors in itself are all different colors look like every other breed under the sun from white to Blue to Black to mix colors. I'm just going to wait to see what happens with this breed as it's very strange to me to have a one breed in so many different colors.

I ordered through McMurray in got several different colors and mixed colors which confused me quite a bit! How can one breed come in blue, black, white and orange and what not? I'm wondering myself

Easter Eggers are a cross between a true araucana and another bird of a different breed. Araucana please the darker colored eggs. Easter Eggers are a mix of one of those in any of the bird you might have laying around to breed to.

I was really confused when I got my order of 25 Whiting true blue chicks. They all look so different. Some are blue, some are white with orange markings and some are black and so on. I was wondering if this was normal for the breed? I do not get feedback here so if anyone has any answers I would love to be emailed at NH Bradley and I am at Yahoo .com I would appreciate any feedback on this breed as I just got them this year. Thank you so much
Yes they are all varying in color. The description I found somewhere says no standard coloring since they were originally developed for fly tying but consistent blue egg,s even in future generations.

Editing to add. I have blues, solid black, black with gold/red streaks, white with black spots, white with brown streaks, and some that are brown with gold head necks (they are hard to describe).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom