Whiting True Blue with barring?

Adorae

Songster
Feb 15, 2022
My 2 week old Whiting True Blue appears to have some barring on it? Could it be actual barring, or something else causing their feathers to look this way?
44CD2781-0F0A-46F8-8617-FA59088ED558.jpeg

It looks like barring to me. Because of where it is, she might not keep it, or her feathers will grow in a way that it might not be noticable as she grows. I'd love to see how she grows her feathers out. :D

It looks like barring to me. Because of where it is, she might not keep it, or her feathers will grow in a way that it might not be noticable as she grows. I'd love to see how she grows her feathers out. :D
Yeah, it'll be fun to see how they look with adult feathers.

But now the question is how did a chick that is suppose to be Leghorn and Ameracuna cross end up with barring? Pretty sus now Murray McMurray.

Yeah, it'll be fun to see how they look with adult feathers.

But now the question is how did a chick that is suppose to be Leghorn and Ameracuna cross end up with barring? Pretty sus now Murray McMurray.
I actually didn't know that about Whiting True Blues on the breed's original parent stock. The barring would be from the Ameracuna, not the Leghorn. I've had a few Ameracunas that had a minor barring pattern in their feathers, but I've never noted that their feathers were barred because they didn't look like a Barred Rock's barring.

I actually didn't know that about Whiting True Blues on the breed's original parent stock. The barring would be from the Ameracuna, not the Leghorn. I've had a few Ameracunas that had a minor barring pattern in their feathers, but I've never noted that their feathers were barred because they didn't look like a Barred Rock's barring.
Ah, I did not know that there was any type of barring on Ameracunas.

Ah, I did not know that there was any type of barring on Ameracunas.
It's part of some of their patterns, though I don't know if it's ever been called barring, even though I'm calling it barring because it's a barring pattern. I'd show you more of what I mean, but I don't have a good picture on this device showing it well. The closest I got is this bird below. Zoom in to her wing toward her flight feathers. If you look closely, you'll see a slight barring pattern. (That hen there was actually named Pattern after those feathers.)

103_0061.JPG

Not suspicious at all.

Many chicken colors can show a sort-of barred appearance as chicks (that could come from the Ameraucana side of the ancestry.)

Actual barring, caused by the barring gene, can sometimes come from White Leghorns. I have read that they commonly carry barring, blue/splash, and various other genes that remove some amount of black from the feathers (it makes them a little less likely to show little bits of black leakage.)

For example:
https://www.jstor.org/stable/2455448?seq=1
In 1913, and article was published (link above hopefully works) by a Dr. Philip Hadely, describing crosses of White Leghorns with solid black chickens. In later generations, he got some chickens with barring, and some that sound like blues ("gray") and splashes ("splashed whites"), with the genes having clearly come from the White Leghorns (since the other original parents were solid black, who cannot have barring or blue without showing it.) The author was careful to state that the White Leghorns were good stock, from the best breeders of the time, so this was not a result of recent crossing or questionable stock.

Not suspicious at all.

Many chicken colors can show a sort-of barred appearance as chicks (that could come from the Ameraucana side of the ancestry.)

Actual barring, caused by the barring gene, can sometimes come from White Leghorns. I have read that they commonly carry barring, blue/splash, and various other genes that remove some amount of black from the feathers (it makes them a little less likely to show little bits of black leakage.)

For example:
https://www.jstor.org/stable/2455448?seq=1
In 1913, and article was published (link above hopefully works) by a Dr. Philip Hadely, describing crosses of White Leghorns with solid black chickens. In later generations, he got some chickens with barring, and some that sound like blues ("gray") and splashes ("splashed whites"), with the genes having clearly come from the White Leghorns (since the other original parents were solid black, who cannot have barring or blue without showing it.) The author was careful to state that the White Leghorns were good stock, from the best breeders of the time, so this was not a result of recent crossing or questionable stock.
Wow, that’s fascinating. Thank you for taking the time to explain all of that. I think I’ll be going down that rabbit hole soon!

Back
Top Bottom