Whiting True Blue?

If you do research or even look on Murray’s site they all have pea combs. I love this breed and I would not have been so sold on them if they had huge “leghorn” single combs.
Even though I much prefer a pea comb, I could live with it if I felt confident he is a WTB. I am just having serious doubts!

Hard to tell from the pics. What color are his legs? They should be yellow. Also his earlobes should be obvious blue.

Attachments

• 8AC6953C-157C-44C5-AB08-712A35CB14DF.jpeg
    8AC6953C-157C-44C5-AB08-712A35CB14DF.jpeg
    485.4 KB · Views: 14
I ordered WTB and WTG from McMurray this summer and nothing is matching up in terms of comb type, leg color or feather color. One pullet turned out to be a cockerel. He has a single comb with yellow legs which would indicate that he’s a WTG however his feather coloring is almost all white. I decided to send a blood sample off to IQBird Testing for the blue egg gene. I sent it in last week and am eagerly awaiting the results. It might be worth it for you. It’s $20 plus shipping.

https://orders.iqbirdtesting.com/product/blue-egg-gene-with-blood-sample/

Last edited:
I ordered WTB and WTG from McMurray this summer and nothing is matching up in terms of comb type, leg color or feather color. One pullet turned out to be a cockerel. He has a single comb with yellow legs which would indicate that he’s a WTG however his feather coloring is almost all white. I decided to send a blood sample off to IQBird Testing for the blue egg gene. I sent it in last week and am eagerly waiting the results. It might be worth it for you. It’s $20 plus shipping.

https://orders.iqbirdtesting.com/product/blue-egg-gene-with-blood-sample/
Thank you for the information! I would sure like to know your results. I won’t incubate any eggs out of him until spring. If I decide to keep him, I will definitely send in a sample.

I‘m still thinking he may be a WTB who very much shows the leghorn in his breeding. The hen is almost identically colored, but with a pea comb and yellow legs. The seller continues to insist he is a WTB direct from McMurry. By the way, I have not had any success getting McMurry to respond to pictures of him and his possible breeding.

@ct12555 Well that was fast. The results from IQBird Testing are in. My WTB/WTG cockerel from McMurray Hatchery was tested for the blue egg gene because he didn't fit the description for either one and he was supposed to be a pullet. Capital "O" means blue egg gene. Lower case "o" is non blue (white or brown). Are you ready?

His results are o/o.

Yup, no blue egg gene. He is neither WTB or WTG. Possibly the small percentage of WTG that don't carry the O but I doubt it. I'll be complaining to McMurray for sure.

@ct12555 Well that was fast. The results from IQBird Testing are in. My WTB/WTG cockerel from McMurray Hatchery was tested for the blue egg gene because he didn't fit the description for either one and he was supposed to be a pullet. Capital "O" means blue egg gene. Lower case "o" is non blue (white or brown). Are you ready?

His results are o/o.

Yup, no blue egg gene. He is neither WTB or WTG. Possibly the small percentage of WTG that don't carry the O but I doubt it. I'll be complaining to McMurray for sure.

I’m sorry to hear your result. I would think the hatchery would feel some responsibility for your time, expense and effort. If I decide to use mine, I will also get the testing done, but I’m probably in the same boat as you. I will likely just look for another rooster. Thanks for the update!

Back
Top Bottom