Whiting True Blue?

ct12555

Chirping
Aug 15, 2023
Athens, Texas
I just purchased what is supposedly a pair of Whiting True Blues. Did I get what I paid for? I guess my concern is the rooster’s very large comb. I certainly wasn’t expecting that. However, I know very little. Thank you for your thoughts!
IMG_3951.jpeg

Whiting true blues don’t have a breed standard, so can have different looks, but the rooster could be a different breed. It’s hard to know for sure. What you could do is breed him to a hen that doesn’t lay blue or green eggs; if he’s really a whiting true blue, at least some of the offspring should lay blue or green eggs.

Whiting true blues don’t have a breed standard, so can have different looks, but the rooster could be a different breed. It’s hard to know for sure. What you could do is breed him to a hen that doesn’t lay blue or green eggs; if he’s really a whiting true blue, at least some of the offspring should lay blue or green eggs.
If he is a true Whiting True Blue all the female offspring should lay blue or green eggs.
I believe that's the only thing set in stone about them is that they're homozygous for the blue shell gene.

I contacted the seller. He stated he purchased these as chicks from McMurray hatchery 2-3 years ago and unless there was a mixup at the hatchery, they are absolutely True Blues. It was the only breed he ordered and most of the roosters had large straight combs. He seems to be an honest gentleman, so maybe I just got one from an oddball shipment. Who knows??

Back
Top Bottom