Whiting true blues?

Lady Gray

Chirping
Feb 13, 2020
I ordered six true blue females from McMurray hatchery, they arrived today and I got seven checks total one was free surprise chick. The website says they come in a variety of colors but because of that I can’t tell which check is not a Whiting true blue. I would think it was the white one but on the website pictures the chicks look like all of them 😭

Attachments

• 2CBAD739-F238-488D-8284-3C80D3F0ABA3.jpeg
    2CBAD739-F238-488D-8284-3C80D3F0ABA3.jpeg
    707.9 KB · Views: 43
You can try looking at the combs--the Whiting True Blues are supposed to have pea combs, but most other breeds have either single or rose combs. (Of course, it's hard to tell comb types when they are that tiny, but it will be easier as they get older; and on rare occasions it will be obvious even on tiny chicks.)

Whiting True Blues can come in lots of colors, including white, so I wouldn't even try to guess based on color :)

Did you have an option to add a "free mystery chick" to your order? If that was not an option, then they probably just sent an extra of the ones you did order. It's fairly common for hatcheries to send an extra if you're getting several of one kind. That way, if one dies in shipping, you've still got the right number of chicks, and they don't have to deal with a refund or with trying to ship you a new chick.

Just got my order in, did you figure it out? Of course, I also have the Whiting True Green so it's a bigger mystery.
My two cents, the whiting true greens are more uniform in appearance. If they have not shipped yet, you can ask that they band the chicks to ease identification. If you call and ask they will do it, but if you do not then they just leave it up to you to figure it out. I have had chicks shipped by McMurray. They have great customer service.:)

My two cents, the whiting true greens are more uniform in appearance. If they have not shipped yet, you can ask that they band the chicks to ease identification. If you call and ask they will do it, but if you do not then they just leave it up to you to figure it out. I have had chicks shipped by McMurray. They have great customer service.:)
Thanks, they've been great so far. That's good to know about the more uniform appearance, I'm sending two off with a friend and he wants one of each.

Back
Top Bottom