Whitish coating on brown eggs.

Reurra

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 11, 2012
Nova Scotia
My little girls are all grown up now and are laying!

The eggs are small still, but quite edible and quite tasty. However, Im not sure who is doing it, but one of the girls lays an eggs with a slight whitishness to it. All my girls are brown egg layers. This whitish color rubs off with water. What does it mean?

I recently went from one brand of layer feed to a 16% layer crumble. I like my results. the eggs are firmer and the girls seem to have more energy. Im also feeding them a Purina scratch with barley, oats, corn and I cant remember the last ingredient. Over all though the girls look healthy. Im just curious why one is laying white on the brown shell. it makes the egg look almost pink. Is it too much calcium?

Remember they are new layers, it takes a few months for their bodies to get into the swing of things. It does sound like probably a little extra calcium or just a lot of "bloom". I wouldn't worry to much about it at this point. I have a Barred Rock that lays a light brown egg, my other BR lays a light brown egg with white specks all over it.

Probably excess bloom. If it were calcium it would have been coated with pigment, as that is applied after the calcium is deposited to make the shell. It should just wipe off it is bloom.

The bloom is the coating that is applied to protect the egg from bacteria entering. If you can catch an egg as the hen lays it, it is wet and soon dries.

Back
Top Bottom