Whizbang Plucker

I agree, any turkey fryer for the scalder and a pair of Nitrile gloves for your fingers for the plucker. Also those newer gardening gloves that are rubbery grippy stuff over a cotten stretch fabric. For most home applications with the cornish cross birds you can pluck just as fast with those as you can set up and run a plucker, plus you have to store the plucker all year. If your doing hundreds of birds a plucker it a worksaver, or if you do lots of heritage breeds that feather tight.

I too have been wondering about the feasibility of building a plucker, but think it would cost more to do than my project warrants. I have 54 birds to do in about 4 weeks (just got them last week and they are growing so fast). I have called every rent place around and they laugh at me when I tell them what I want.
sad.png
Where can I get some of those nitrile gloves? Do you have a link with a photo? Any one know how much a turkey frier costs? Do they have thermostats so you can set the temp you want to keep them at?

Hey adopted
How did you hook your "fingers" to the tub? I like that idea and have access to that type (donation from work
cool.png
). Or are you just wearing them?

Quote:
Turkey friers go from $40 - $150. Most do not have a temp setting unless you get one of the electric ones. Mine was $120. You can get them most sporting goods/camping/outdoors/walmart. The main thing is to get the biggest one you can. Most are about 30 quart. I prefer propane powered units so I can use it anywhere outdoors, plus it heats up faster than electric. But you have to heat them up first, get your temp right and steady before you get started. Getting the temp right once while trying to scald is no good. Most friers come with a temp gauge that hooks on the side of the pot.

Back
Top Bottom