Whizzing hen

Montanagal61

In the Brooder
May 18, 2020
I have a 3 yr old hen who is open mouth breathing stretching her neck whizzing and couch sneezing. I have treated her for upper respiratory infection and for gape worm. It has been over a week. She has been in the house away from the other hens. She is still eating and drinking. Any idea why she still maybe doing this. We don't have a vet that will treat her.

Have you added any new birds recently that might have been a carrier of a respiratory disease? Does she have any face swelling or bubbles in one eye? Can you get Tylan 200 injectable or Tylosin powder for the water to treat her for possible MG? Your vet may help, or you might get the first one of those at your feed store or the second one online. Make sure that she drinks plenty of water. A small bowl of feed with a lot of water can help.

If you can get the injectable Tylan 200 at your feed store, and some small syringes, you can give it orally without the needle. Dosage is 0.1 ml per every 2 pounds 3 times a day for 5 days.
The Tylosin powder dosage is 1 tsp per gallon of water given for 5 days. Here is where that can be found:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder?_pos=1&_sid=7fa00b38f&_ss=r

Have you added any new birds recently that might have been a carrier of a respiratory disease? Does she have any face swelling or bubbles in one eye? Can you get Tylan 200 injectable or Tylosin powder for the water to treat her for possible MG? Your vet may help, or you might get the first one of those at your feed store or the second one online. Make sure that she drinks plenty of water. A small bowl of feed with a lot of water can help.

If you can get the injectable Tylan 200 at your feed store, and some small syringes, you can give it orally without the needle. Dosage is 0.1 ml per every 2 pounds 3 times a day for 5 days.
The Tylosin powder dosage is 1 tsp per gallon of water given for 5 days. Here is where that can be found:
I gave her

I have given her 3 -1/2 cc injection of Tylosin. We don't have any new birds. She is they only one that has showed any signs of this.

Back
Top Bottom