Who all is going through a molt?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by beachchickie, Oct 17, 2010.

1. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    My EE is still not laying. She acts weird and her comb is still pink. It has been about 8wks. Most of her feathers are back. Her fuzzy but is still not as fuzzy and she still has less around her neck. I wonder how long this will take.

2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    [​IMG] going thru the molt too! [​IMG]

3. Eliza

Eliza Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2008
    Lisbon, CT
    me too! Got feathers?! Apple cider vinager helps quicken the molt process; makes hard shiney feathers, and good shells on eggs. 1 cup per 1 gallon of water in a NON metal container! Get unpasterized vinager if you can. The cloudy "mother" in the vinager is important.

4. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    molting here too...I use this time of reduced egg production to deworm the flock. (less eggs to toss!)

5. beachchickie

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    Good idea. I am beginning to wonder if something else is going on. I wonder what the longest time a hen has gone without laying.

6. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Do all of them molt?? Just asking because my older girls are about 1 1/2 years old and they've never gone through a molt. All my others are 30 - 34 weeks old! I live in the South, does that make a difference??

Thanks,
    Missi

7. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Mine are 1 1/2 and they are all in different stages of molt. Some are getting new feathers already and some are shamefully tail-less. Sometimes I count them to make sure they are all still there. It looks like one might have exploded and all that is left are feathers.
    I have been collecting the nice feathers to make a wreath or something out of.
    I am in the south as well. The younger rooster is also molting, but it is a classy and distinguished molt. Thin tail feathers, but otherwise he still has his dashing good looks.

8. beachchickie

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    My RIR is the oldest. She dropped a bunch of butt feathers they came right back only stopped laying for 2wks. My EE is next in age she has been going through this for about 8 wks. No eggs at all comb is pale pink. Acts weird doesn't come around me much does not want to be bothered. Those are the only 2 I have that have molted. RIR is 1 1/2 yrs old EE is 16mos

9. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:[​IMG]

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I've really got to start raking up feathers.

My wife wondered why there were so many.

I told her it was FALL!

you know, chickens are just like trees.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by