Who am I? What am I? Where can I get one?

I had 25 polish about 12 years ago and remembered they wernt the best of egg layers. Mine didnt lay everyday. I would say there more for looks.

I adopted a roo last year because the orginal owner was about to get evicted over his crow. (They lived right next door to the landlord) This boy could wake the dead. I loved his crow, his big bird head and his funny little walk. Unfortunately he hated me, my husband he liked,me he hated. I had to rehome him. So sad.

I have two silver lace polish hens. They lay white eggs that are thin and pointy. The egg size is between my silkies and my black australorps. They both lay about 2 eggs a week. However, they are really pretty birds and have the funniest personalities. Watching their antics is very entertaining. I think polish are wonderful chickens....but no they are not super productive layers.

Quote:
And how many Polish did you raise to come to this conclusion? They're actually pretty good layers, especially from hatcheries, you can expect 6 a week!
roll.png

The coolest though, hands-down, are Tolbunt colored Polish.
wink.png

5149892743_2428524aac.jpg

(and frizzled Tolbunt Polish)

5555264620_493a49b7d9_o.jpg

Quote:
And how many Polish did you raise to come to this conclusion? They're actually pretty good layers, especially from hatcheries, you can expect 6 a week!
roll.png

The coolest though, hands-down, are Tolbunt colored Polish.
wink.png

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1104/5149892743_2428524aac.jpg

(and frizzled Tolbunt Polish)

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5224/5555264620_493a49b7d9_o.jpg

Illia I agree I have youngster polish, my first ones but I have a friend who has a few white crested blues from hatchery stock. Her 3 girls lay 5-6 eggs each a week, as with most any hatchery breeds, they breed for production not much for looks/standards in the breeds.

Also agree the Tolbunts are by far the coolest and most gorgeous
smile.png
Not big personally on the frizzled birds of any breed, but the polish look so funny
wink.png

I have two golden laced hens and one rooster. You can visit the polish thread to learn more about them. Mine do much better in a covered run. Rain causes havoc with the head feathers! They are funny, sometimes frantic things...probably not the sharpest tack in the pack but lots of fun and mine are very personable. I will always have polish! Mine lay almost every day. Average four to six a week.
sharon

Ok so there is a bit of a debate over the egg laying. I think I'd still like to get one but also get a bird or two of a different breed. Something that is a proven daily egg layer. I guess be safe or sorry.
cool.png

But I have another question. Doesn't the quality of feed and such have an effect on egg production? Or am I wrong? I'm asking this because if I can I want my birds to be as self sufficient as possible. More free range than dependent on feed. Don't get me wrong I will feed my birds especially in winter.
wink.png
I haven't look very much into this yet so if anyone can give links that would be awesome
lol.png

Calcium etc has a big part to play on egg production and quality (calcium and certain vitamin deficiencies can cause shelless eggs, or weak eggshells, and less taste to the egg, etc) a good way to go is give them enough food in the AM for them to eat it all in about 10 minutes, and again in the evening.

If you want egg layers get them from a hatchery or hatchery stock, they will definately lay 4+ eggs a week. A breeder/show line bird is going to have poorer egg production, the breed wasn't meant to be an egg layer and breeders/showers breed true to the breed where a hatchery breeds the better egg layers and their aim is egg producers for themselves and consumers. Only drawback is the best looking birds are show line birds. Dont get me wrong, most hatchery birds have the big crests as well.

The picture you have up is a ROOSTER, the HENS have a much nicer poofy crest that sits neat on the head. the rockstar look is for the boys only.

Back
Top Bottom