Who could be laying?

Onebroodymomma

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 19, 2014
This year, I have gotten chickens for the first time. I got 4 Delaware and 2 barred rock hens that had just molted right before the cold started. I also have two 8 month females that had yet to lay when I got them, on is just a barnyard mix and the other a splash cochin.

Around Christmas time I got 3 very dark brown eggs. Then until about a week ago, I had not gotten anymore. Now, I am getting 1-2 eggs a day, but they are light cream.

Is there any way to figure out which chickens (at least the breed) that is laying the eggs?

This year, I have gotten chickens for the first time. I got 4 Delaware and 2 barred rock hens that had just molted right before the cold started. I also have two 8 month females that had yet to lay when I got them, on is just a barnyard mix and the other a splash cochin.

Around Christmas time I got 3 very dark brown eggs. Then until about a week ago, I had not gotten anymore. Now, I am getting 1-2 eggs a day, but they are light cream.

Is there any way to figure out which chickens (at least the breed) that is laying the eggs?

I would suggest posting photos of the birds so that we can possibly see some of the breeds that may be at play in the mixed birds which could help indicate expected egg color. Do you happen to have any photos of the "dark" eggs? Often one person's perception of very dark can vary from another's, so seeing the actual eggs can help in connecting them to possible source hens.

No, I did not take pics of the darker eggs. When I found them they were cracked open because silly me was not checking for eggs daily because they had yet to lay.

The membranes were broken and they were all leaky from freezing.

I will get some pictures of my flock today

Back
Top Bottom