Who crowed??

Here is a mugshot of a likely suspect. Not sure if they are on the list or not.
That is my 3.5 month old lavender Wyandotte. She is a possibility. I don’t consider her a prime suspect, because she doesn’t really have any rooster hints or vibe. She’s super submissive, mild-mannered, is both a literal and figurative chicken, and her comb only reddened within the last few days. I’ll add some more suspects to the line up. I heard it again this morning. 🤦‍♀️

I have

I agree that they all look like pullets. And I have an SS hen who crows, too!
My speckled Sussex screeches like something out of a horror movie. I have a Wyandotte that makes a screeching roar-like sound, too. When the two of them sing together it sounds like I would imagine Jurassic Park to sound like, lol!

Thanks for all the replies! I hope it’s just a pullet who is practicing out her egg song vocal cords, but it was awful crowy this morning again. Naturally, when they realized I was on a stake-out to spot the culprit, they all tightened up their beaks and pretended to be upstanding citizens.

I think it sounds very young, so I’m leaning more heavily toward my 7 week old crew. All of these were purchased as hatchery-sexed pullets. The ones I posted yesterday were just the most suspicious. Here are some pics of the rest of that crew.

Derby, 7 week old white EE
IMG_9387.jpeg
IMG_9388.jpeg
Sky, 7 week old blue EE
IMG_9385.jpeg
IMG_9386.jpeg

Kia, 7 week old Barnevelder IMG_9384.jpeg
IMG_9389.jpeg
Lucy, 7 week Noir Marans. This chick has always had a large comb, but I believe that’s typical for Marans. The breed is also sex-linked, so if it’s not female then I think that means it’s not a noir Marans at all.
IMG_9380.jpeg
IMG_9381.jpeg

Lastly, here are some more pics of the 3.5 lavender Wyandotte who was most recently accused. She was also purchased as a hatchery sexed pullet. I guess she has that shredder gene, so her feathers are all wack!
IMG_9262.jpeg
IMG_9203.jpeg
IMG_9390.jpeg

Thanks for all the replies! I hope it’s just a pullet who is practicing out her egg song vocal cords, but it was awful crowy this morning again. Naturally, when they realized I was on a stake-out to spot the culprit, they all tightened up their beaks and pretended to be upstanding citizens.

I think it sounds very young, so I’m leaning more heavily toward my 7 week old crew. All of these were purchased as hatchery-sexed pullets. The ones I posted yesterday were just the most suspicious. Here are some pics of the rest of that crew.

Derby, 7 week old white EE
View attachment 3558408
View attachment 3558407
Sky, 7 week old blue EE
View attachment 3558410
View attachment 3558409

Kia, 7 week old BarnevelderView attachment 3558411
View attachment 3558412
Lucy, 7 week Noir Marans. This chick has always had a large comb, but I believe that’s typical for Marans. The breed is also sex-linked, so if it’s not female then I think that means it’s not a noir Marans at all.
View attachment 3558421
View attachment 3558419

Lastly, here are some more pics of the 3.5 lavender Wyandotte who was most recently accused. She was also purchased as a hatchery sexed pullet.
View attachment 3558428
View attachment 3558429
View attachment 3558431
Nope, no guys there.

For anyone interested, the mystery has been solved. All the suspects have been released and no charges pressed. The sound I was hearing was a strange ending note that sometimes get strung out on my cockerel's crow. All concerned parties were declared pullets and released. ;)

Back
Top Bottom