Who crowed??

Fluster Cluck Acres

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Mar 26, 2020
Frederick, MD
Okay guys. I thought I knew who was who, and then this morning I heard what sounded like a first-time crow-attempt from a place where no crowd should be heard. And that quickly I went from being 100% confident I knew who was and wasn’t female to suspecting everyone. No one is safe unless they’ve laid an egg. So now I’m playing a Clue-like detective game…

Do you think it was…
The Brown Orpington in the. brooder with the red comb?
The red barnyard mx in the front yard with the saddle feathers?
The Easter Egger in the big run with the thick legs?
The Australorp on the roost with the nasty attitude?
Mr Peacock in the library with the candlestick? Okay, I don’t have peacocks or even candlesticks for that matter, but those first 4 are my primary suspects.

Suspect #1-
Molé, 7 week old brown Orp hatchery sexed female.
Suspicious activity: comb & wattles have been red since 3 weeks.
Other facts: mild-mannered, same size as same-age chicks.

The first 3 pics were taken yesterday (7 weeks) and the last pic was taken at 3 weeks when the comb turned red.
IMG_9088.jpeg
IMG_9083.jpeg
IMG_9311.jpeg
IMG_8616.jpeg

Suspect #2-
Brandy Alexander, 3 1/2 month old home hatched barnyard mix.
Suspicious activity: are those saddle feathers looking a little pointy? Why are her tail feathers beginning to curl? And why is my young roo only into her friend and not her?
Other facts: mild-mannered, same size as same-age pullets, small yellow comb
IMG_9345.jpeg
IMG_9342.jpeg
IMG_9341.jpeg
IMG_9161.jpeg
In this last pic Brandy is in the one in the middle (between her same aged hatchery sexed lavender Wyandotte & RIR pullets).

Suspect #3-
Fatima, 7 week old Easter Egger hatchery sexed female.
Suspicious activity: She is bold, very outgoing, and larger than her same age siblings (including 2 other EEs)
Other facts: comb is just beginning to turn reddish. Also this is my first time with EEs so I don’t know what features to look for, but she looks different from the other 2 EEs I got with her.
IMG_9310.jpeg
IMG_9309.jpeg
IMG_9292.jpeg
IMG_9290.jpeg
In this last pic, Fatima is standing in front of her same age sexed EE flock-mate. Compare their heads to see the size difference.

Suspect #4-
Foster, 3.5 month old sexed female Australorp.
Suspicious activity: She’s mean to me, and pecks me frequently.
Other facts: No other reason to suspect she’s the crower. She looks like a pullet, and acts like a pullet to the other chickens. She’s only standoffish with people.

IMG_9317.jpeg
IMG_9108.jpeg
IMG_9322.jpeg
IMG_9203.jpeg
In this last pic Foster is standing next to her same age sexed pullet Wyandotte flock mate.

So… do you think any of these might be males? Or hopefully my hearing is just bad and I never heard a crow to begin with. I do have a few more 7 week old chicks. But I don’t have enough intel on them to bring them in for questioning.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom