Karen or Kevin?

TheMoonBottom

Hatching
Mar 19, 2024
For fun. I was team Karen up till today. I got “her” sexed, but they’ve been wrong before. Hatch date 11/3/23

Reasons for Karen- she was sexed, virtually no comb until a few weeks ago. No waddles under her chin. Comb was light pink until all my other pullets started turning red too. I’m not sure there are any spurs, my other 4 roos have defined spurs (same hatch day.

Reasons for Kevin- crows and mounts other hens. Super mean, pecks eyes, very aggressive (this is why she was called Karen). Back feathers.
IMG_7547.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7545.jpeg
    IMG_7545.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 5
For fun. I was team Karen up till today. I got “her” sexed, but they’ve been wrong before. Hatch date 11/3/23

Reasons for Karen- she was sexed, virtually no comb until a few weeks ago. No waddles under her chin. Comb was light pink until all my other pullets started turning red too. I’m not sure there are any spurs, my other 4 roos have defined spurs (same hatch day.

Reasons for Kevin- crows and mounts other hens. Super mean, pecks eyes, very aggressive (this is why she was called Karen). Back feathers.
View attachment 3776395
I think Karen is a boy!

View attachment 3776395
That chicken definitely has male feathering (narrow, dropping saddle feathers that grow from the back and hang down on each side near the tail.)

The black breast is also a male trait, and the gold color in the shoulders is much more common in males than females.

So I am 99% certain you have a male. The other 1% or less would be a female with a major hormone problem (it does happen, just not very often: a chicken who is genetically female can grow male feathers and act like a male if her hormones are messed up. Some of those later go back to normal, and some don't. But they are pretty rare. I'm quite sure you have a male.)

Reasons for Karen- she was sexed, virtually no comb until a few weeks ago. No waddles under her chin.
Small comb because some pea combs just are small. No wattles because the genes for pea comb can make wattles smaller, beard makes wattles smaller, and beard hides any small wattles that manage to grow anyway.

I’m not sure there are any spurs, my other 4 roos have defined spurs (same hatch day.
Some hens grow spurs, some roosters never do. Spurs are not a very accurate way to sex chickens, especially young chickens.

Comb was light pink until all my other pullets started turning red too.
Probably a slow-developing male. I am a bit surprised he was that slow, but the short days of winter may have slowed his development (amount of daylight has an effect on male chickens' hormones as well as the female ones.)

View attachment 3776395
The "back feathers" are the biggest reason I see to consider this bird male. He's been growing those for quite some time, judging by how long they are.

But the black breast is pretty significant too, when it is on a chicken that has that general color pattern. (Of course solid black chickens can be male or female, but multi-colored ones are much more likely to have black breasts in the males and other breast colors in females.)

That chicken definitely has male feathering (narrow, dropping saddle feathers that grow from the back and hang down on each side near the tail.)

The black breast is also a male trait, and the gold color in the shoulders is much more common in males than females.

So I am 99% certain you have a male. The other 1% or less would be a female with a major hormone problem (it does happen, just not very often: a chicken who is genetically female can grow male feathers and act like a male if her hormones are messed up. Some of those later go back to normal, and some don't. But they are pretty rare. I'm quite sure you have a male.)

Small comb because some pea combs just are small. No wattles because the genes for pea comb can make wattles smaller, beard makes wattles smaller, and beard hides any small wattles that manage to grow anyway.

Some hens grow spurs, some roosters never do. Spurs are not a very accurate way to sex chickens, especially young chickens.

Probably a slow-developing male. I am a bit surprised he was that slow, but the short days of winter may have slowed his development (amount of daylight has an effect on male chickens' hormones as well as the female ones.)

The "back feathers" are the biggest reason I see to consider this bird male. He's been growing those for quite some time, judging by how long they are.

But the black breast is pretty significant too, when it is on a chicken that has that general color pattern. (Of course solid black chickens can be male or female, but multi-colored ones are much more likely to have black breasts in the males and other breast colors in females.)
I did not know about the black breast. I knew much of your other arguments, but I’m glad you took the time to remind me. I’m still learning!

I agree, Karen is a Kevin and will be culled when we cull our other surplus roosters.

Looks like a Kevin to me. Those are some very pointy saddle feathers. Not to mention the crowing, which is my usual "yeah, no I've got a rooster."

Back
Top Bottom