Is my EE a rooster?

Ok here’s a weird one. I bought 2 EE chicks about 16 weeks ago that were “sexed” as hens. Everything about them has seemed mostly hennish except that one of them, Flora, sprouted a beautiful colorful plumage and these gorgeous flowing tail feathers. I assumed it was just a cool trait since Easter Eggers are mixed breeds right? Also, she has hardly any comb, absolutely no wattle and no spurs. No other physical traits that point to rooster.

Another piece of the puzzle: even though she is near the bottom of the pecking order since she’s the youngest in a flock of 13 hens, I have seen her try to mount 1 or 2 here and there then get snapped at and run off. Maybe it’s an attempt to work her way up?

Well, this morning lo and behold: a very muffled crowing.

Obviously hasn’t started laying yet so I can’t rule anything out at this point. Can anyone tell what I’ve got here? I’m thinking hen, but maybe not?
Cockrel

When I scrolled and saw the pic and chipmunks reaction it was too much. I have real laughing tears happening.

thank you for a great backstory OP. Made my day.

Attachments

• FFEE3891-6839-4D8B-A950-BAB51FE2EC54.jpeg
    FFEE3891-6839-4D8B-A950-BAB51FE2EC54.jpeg
    535.7 KB · Views: 12
Ok here’s a weird one. I bought 2 EE chicks about 16 weeks ago that were “sexed” as hens. Everything about them has seemed mostly hennish except that one of them, Flora, sprouted a beautiful colorful plumage and these gorgeous flowing tail feathers. I assumed it was just a cool trait since Easter Eggers are mixed breeds right? Also, she has hardly any comb, absolutely no wattle and no spurs. No other physical traits that point to rooster.

Another piece of the puzzle: even though she is near the bottom of the pecking order since she’s the youngest in a flock of 13 hens, I have seen her try to mount 1 or 2 here and there then get snapped at and run off. Maybe it’s an attempt to work her way up?

Well, this morning lo and behold: a very muffled crowing.

Obviously hasn’t started laying yet so I can’t rule anything out at this point. Can anyone tell what I’ve got here? I’m thinking hen, but maybe not?
Definitely rooster and what an absolutely beautiful bird!!

Back
Top Bottom