Who did this?!?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Hillary and friend's eggs, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Hillary and friend's eggs

Hillary and friend's eggs Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2010
    I am very angry and upset...[​IMG] about a week ago one night I heard noise from the chicken coop. It was about 2 or 3 in the morning. I sent the dog out to investigate and he scared the creature away. I didn't think much of the event until that morning when I found 3 of my 6 chickens were dead (one being a beautiful austrolorp I was GOING to show in the fair AND my EE [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]) , one was severely injured (and later died) and one was moderately injured. After checking the coop, I found out that the predator had gotten into the coop by climbing. The chickens were attacked at the back and neck, and they had their heads and were not eaten, just killed. The one that later died had a broken leg and head injuries. My question is: what killed my chickens and how can I trap/kill it? My two survivors are rooming with my friend's flock and I would like to get them back home as soon as possible. Oh yeah and my birds were full grown layers if that helps. Also, when I go to rebuild the coop, how should it be done and what should I use?

Thanks for your help![​IMG]

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    It could have been a raccoon. For information on coop and run ideas, go to the coop and run design forum here. You can get some great ideas there.

3. OL'McAlishia

OL'McAlishia Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2010
    Portland
    My dog just killed on of my chickens today (first time ever), she stripped its neck of tissue and feathers, head was still there and rest of body too, weirdest darn thing ever, she never messed with them all this time free range, last few weeks been rainy and i kept them in till 2 days ago and today she killed my Australorp, the other is hangin in there but prob wont make it thru night, She has puncture wounds around rear and really bad on back between wings. Sad to lose not only your wonderful egg layers but your pets (which i originally bought chickens to lay eggs and become stew, but grown to love as pets)

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Might have been a weasle. I'd think the one with the broke leg probably injured itself in the chaos of the attack rather then from a direct attack. I think of weasles getting in thru holes more than climbing though the head/neck damage and the birds not being eaten does sound like a weasle. The injuries you descibe don't sound like a raccoon to me, but the climbing in does...[​IMG]

5. Hillary and friend's eggs

Feb 9, 2010
    I know it wasn't a dog because it had to have gotten in by climbing/ jumping 6 ft of chain link. It could have been a raccoon because some have been sighted in our neighborhood, but I don't know how our 25 pound dog could scare one away a raccoon. Also, I live in southernish California, and I don't know if we have weasels. It was a very strange attack, even the vet was unsure of what it could have been! All I want to know is what it was, how to predator proof the cage against it, and how to capture or kill it. [​IMG]

Thanks again for your help![​IMG]

6. bills

bills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    vancouver island
    Mink, could easily get passed chain link. I hear they kill for fun, not always for food. Vicious little critters. I have a neighbor where one killed the whole flock, but never ate any.

Sometimes they will come back for a carcass. Perhaps you could set out some "bait" and see what shows up..Keep a pellet gun handy.[​IMG]

7. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like a Bobcat, especially since the head wasn't eaten and you live in Southern California. I have lost alot of chickens to Bobcats here in Northern California. They can jump easily over a 10 foot fence. They grab their prey by the neck and tail. The birds I have lost had tail, neck and breast feathers left strewn about the yard after an attack. The Bobcat carries them off whole. Best thing to do is cover your chicken yard or ad hotwire to the top and bottom. For every predator you trap or kill there will be another to take its place!! [​IMG] Here is a picture of what I had to do to keep the Bobcats out! GOOD LUCK!
    [​IMG]

8. Hillary and friend's eggs

Feb 9, 2010
    wow so many things it could have been...thank you all for your help, now all I need to do is fix up the coop to be predator proof!

9. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    When we lived in a different area..weasels were the culprit. They will kill, but not eat. Most predators will eat..sometimes, racoons will just kill, but usually they will eat something..if there was nothing eaten, but just a kill, weasels are bad, if you have them in that area.

10. parisplus3

parisplus3 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2010
    Missoula Montana
    Ohhh that makes me sad:(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by