Who disbuds their kids?

Quote:
...and you seem more than happy to start one!

We band. Quick, simple...done. Emasculating has its pros and cons. As MissPrissy said, there's more to it...it takes longer and can be more stressful. Also, it doesn't always 'take' on the first try, whereas banding makes a wether in about 12-24 hrs. Sure, there are stories floating around about bandings gone awry, but if one takes their time, makes sure they're doing it right (preferably from a hands on tutorial from an experienced producer) then the outcome is usually a very good one.

Quote:
We raise and show La Mancha and Nubian dairy goats.

ADGA rules STRICTLY prohibit the showing of goats with horns. That means, if you leave your goats "natural" they will NEVER be able to enter a showring. Now, that may not be a big deal to you, but maybe it will be for that little 4-Her that doesn't get to show because that cute little baby goat sprouted 4" horns.

Horns are a nuisance at best, and outright dangerous on the wrong animal, I don't care what anyone says, it only takes ONE bad accident with horns for you to realize that.

I have a scar on my thigh from my very (overly) friendly La Mancha doe that I owned as a child. She didn't mean to hurt me, she was playing, but I still bear the scar.

In my experience, most people prefer hornless goats. Never have I heard anyone say "oh, I'd buy that goat if only it had horns"

I HAVE heard people say "oh, I'd buy that goat if only it DIDN'T have horns"

Disbudding takes seconds and the recovery is almost instantanious, changing your mind down the road means dehorning, which is life threatening in the best of circumstances, a long recovery, and in some cases, never a full recovery.

In short DISBUD those cute little buggers!

Quote:
http://fiascofarm.com/goats/buck-wether-info.htm#burdizzo

I think it's more humane than banding.

Disclaimer: This is from fiascofarm.com and it doesn't not give me a false since of experience or knowledge. I'm always open to a friendly debate.......

Banding does practically the same thing as this, except I would imagine much more simple. Banding uses rubber bands to "crush the spermatic cord and blood vessels leading to the testicles. The effect is to prevent blood reaching the testicles so that they gradually wither away and die." I'm not trying to be a pain, but when I read that it was almost exactly how I explain to someone how banding works. LOL It cuts off circulationg and the testicles wither and die.

How is this more humane?

-Kim

Quote:
ep.gif
ep.gif
ep.gif
ep.gif
gig.gif

Yup dats how I do it, 10 15 times a year.

John
old.gif

very true ksacres..accidents CAN happen with goats and horns...before my pygmy goat was de-horned...my foster son was holding her on his lap(she thinks shes a lap dog)
smile.png
...he was holding her..and she bent her head back towards him..as he was leaning down to say something to her...and her horn hit him very close to his eye(right under it)...again..not on purpose..but..still..it could have been a nasty accident if her horn had got his eye...so...its things like that ,that can happen with horns...espically if your goats are very people friendly....but again..i have to say..she was never fresh with her horns..just a bit clumsy...
idunno.gif
...Wendy

Quote:
ep.gif
ep.gif
ep.gif
ep.gif
gig.gif

Yup dats how I do it, 10 15 times a year.

John
old.gif

tongue.gif
tongue2.gif
tongue.gif
tongue2.gif

What do you do, band?

-Kim

Quote:
We raise and show La Mancha and Nubian dairy goats.

ADGA rules STRICTLY prohibit the showing of goats with horns. That means, if you leave your goats "natural" they will NEVER be able to enter a showring. Now, that may not be a big deal to you, but maybe it will be for that little 4-Her that doesn't get to show because that cute little baby goat sprouted 4" horns.

Horns are a nuisance at best, and outright dangerous on the wrong animal, I don't care what anyone says, it only takes ONE bad accident with horns for you to realize that.

I have a scar on my thigh from my very (overly) friendly La Mancha doe that I owned as a child. She didn't mean to hurt me, she was playing, but I still bear the scar.

In my experience, most people prefer hornless goats. Never have I heard anyone say "oh, I'd buy that goat if only it had horns"

I HAVE heard people say "oh, I'd buy that goat if only it DIDN'T have horns"

Disbudding takes seconds and the recovery is almost instantanious, changing your mind down the road means dehorning, which is life threatening in the best of circumstances, a long recovery, and in some cases, never a full recovery.

In short DISBUD those cute little buggers!

Thank you. That's exactly what I was asking. So when the time comes (a very long time from now) I will "disbud those cute little buggers!"
lol.png

Quote:
http://fiascofarm.com/goats/buck-wether-info.htm#burdizzo

I think it's more humane than banding.

Disclaimer: This is from fiascofarm.com and it doesn't not give me a false since of experience or knowledge. I'm always open to a friendly debate.......

Banding does practically the same thing as this, except I would imagine much more simple. Banding uses rubber bands to "crush the spermatic cord and blood vessels leading to the testicles. The effect is to prevent blood reaching the testicles so that they gradually wither away and die." I'm not trying to be a pain, but when I read that it was almost exactly how I explain to someone how banding works. LOL It cuts off circulationg and the testicles wither and die.

How is this more humane?

-Kim

Going by what I've read (I've never experienced either one) banding seems less humane. But that's what I've READ and according to what I'm hearing everything I read is a bunch of crap.
gig.gif
Even though fiascofarm.com was the first site I was directed to when asking about goats. Once again it sounds like how to castrate is also a personal pref.

Back
Top Bottom