Who do I have here?

Chicabeaka

Chirping
Apr 24, 2015
Hi there,

I am trying to figure out what I have here and also their genders. I will post what I think they are but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, I have read that some chickens cannot free range. I have a nice size coop and run but do prefer for them to free range when I am home. I have my big girls free ranging but the little ones are in the run. It's been pretty hard to keep them cool this summer. My big girls have an easier time finding cool spots and shade. Any advice on this matter is welcome. Also, I am guessing at the spelling too. Feel free to correct me! :)

All of them are 8 weeks old.

If they are pullets, when do these breeds usually start laying?

Thanks so much!

Some kind of Polish - Dehlillia

?

Buff Orphington - Buffy and Swedish Flower Hen - Henrietta?

No idea but Chicken Mike has acted very roostery since day one!

Silver Wyandotte? - Sylvia

Black Frizzle Cochin - Zazzles

Cream Legbar - Mac

Salmon Flavoralle - Sally

Silver Sebright - Squirt

Wow, after looking at the pictures, a few of them are certainly going through that awkward teenage phase! :)

Thanks for the help!

Yes, I'm thinking you're correct! #1. White Crested Black Polish - don't know the gender since I've never worked with this breed. #2. Buff Orpington and Swedish Flower Hen pullets. #3. Perhaps Buff Cochin? And it's a cockerel. #4. Silver Laced Wyandotte cockerel. #5. Black Frizzle Cochin - no idea on gender. #6. Cream Legbar pullet. #7. Salmon Faverolles pullet. #8. Silver Sebright, and I'm thinking pullet.
smile.png

~Alex

Thanks Alex! On the breeds that you know. Can you tell me how you figured that out? I am trying to learn and have NO IDEA what to look for.

Thanks again!

You're welcome! Hope someone who knows Polish and Frizzles better than I do comes along.
big_smile.png

Are you wondering how I recognize the breed, or how I determine the gender?
smile.png
Well, I do a little reading on chicken breeds, and plus I have a lot of the same ones you do! Cockerels at that age develop pink, enlarged combs and wattles while the pullets don't start to redden until several weeks later. Also, some cockerels (depending on the breed) have red or black "wing patches" or simply different colors than the pullets of their breed.

~Alex

Does anyone have an opinion on letting all of them free range during the day? I sure hope to do that but don't want to put any at risk.

Yes, I'm thinking you're correct! #1. White Crested Black Polish - don't know the gender since I've never worked with this breed. #2. Buff Orpington and Swedish Flower Hen pullets. #3. Perhaps Buff Cochin? And it's a cockerel. #4. Silver Laced Wyandotte cockerel. #5. Black Frizzle Cochin - no idea on gender. #6. Cream Legbar pullet. #7. Salmon Faverolles pullet. #8. Silver Sebright, and I'm thinking pullet.
smile.png

~Alex
From the looks of things, I'd say you're right. For some reason, my first impression on #1 was a Top Hat. Please let me know if any of you guys have worked with those. I have five.

Last edited:
Does anyone have an opinion on letting all of them free range during the day? I sure hope to do that but don't want to put any at risk.
Free-ranging all day is a possibility, though it does have its dangers. My whole flock almost got brutally murdered by a dog belonging to someone up our quiet road, but thanks to God, I was in the right place at the right time. Do you have a run for them? A really good system I've come up with is allowing them to enjoy the run during the day, and then let them out for 1-3 hours before bedtime and staying with them as much as I can.
smile.png

~Alex

Free ranging poultry has its risks. It also has benefits. You need to decide what is an acceptable balance between the two. If losing just one bird to predators is unacceptable then free ranging is not for you.

Back
Top Bottom