Who do I keep?! Project chickens- pics!

Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Songster
10 Years
Apr 30, 2009
Rogue Valley, S. Oregon
I got this batch of cuties from alohachickens and its time to start selecting the keepers! I only want to keep one boy- MAYBE two, and all the best hens. They are eight weeks old and just learning to make real chicken sounds... one of the boys had his first crow just a few days ago but most are still peeping.
Rather that try to paraphrase the goals and origins of the Aloha project, I decided links would be better.
The link link below is pics of the parents of my chickens:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c181/sommerp/Aloha Pens April 2011/
And this one is about the project its self:
http://alohachickens.webs.com/december2010.htm
This one has pics of the original Swedish flower hens that inspired the project:
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Swede/BRKSwedeSpot.html

That explains what I am aiming for, so without further adieu, here are my chickens!

Buttercup (roo)
29884_alohas_019.jpg

Flecks (hen)
29884_alohas_024.jpg

Digit (hen)
29884_alohas_028.jpg

Cuckoo (roo)
29884_alohas_034.jpg

Red hens
29884_alohas_042.jpg

Snowflake and Goldy (hens)
29884_alohas_046.jpg

Snowflake or her stunt double-I have two nearly identical girls (hen)
29884_alohas_057.jpg

Bluetail (roo)
29884_alohas_111.jpg

Chair thieves!
29884_alohas_062.jpg

Easter (roo)
29884_alohas_082.jpg

Calli (hen)
29884_alohas_094.jpg

Peach (roo)
29884_alohas_117.jpg

Blackbeak (hen)
29884_alohas_058.jpg

Puffy and Bluetail (hen and roo)
29884_alohas_122.jpg

Nap time!
29884_alohas_136.jpg

Almost everyone is in this one... ignore the Columbian Wyandotte and the Silver Laced Polish!
29884_img_0232.jpg

Culled pullets will be going to the Oregon fall poultry swap in October and culled cockerels, well... I will keep them. In the freezer.

Last edited:
I have been playing with the idea of keeping this breed.... DH isn't quite on board yet because there have been chicks living in the bathroom since April.
big_smile.png

From what I can glean, the goal is a great variety of color and pattern. Obviously not expert, my favorites are:

Roo #1: Cuckoo
Roo #2: Easter
(Roo #3: Bluetail - Well, it's a toss-up between Easter and Bluetail for me, depends on which way you want to go, but Cuckoo is undeniable.)

All hens, #1 being my favorite:
#1: Blackbeak (seems perfect!)
#2: Puffy
#3: Goldy (to bring in some of those dark markings?)
#4: Calli
#5&6: Snowflake & her double
#7: Digit
#8: Flecks
#9&10: Red hens

I know little about the breed (although I think it is in delvelopment, no standard? ETA: Obviously - you clearly say project! Brain needs coffee...), but it was fun to look at and think about your birds!
I hope you let us know what you decide!

Last edited:
After visiting in this sites then I can learn some interesting knowledge about "Project Chickens". I wish it would help me to maintain my business.

Thanks for sharing this.

So far I am undecided on roos, but I was told that Cuckoo's pattern is too dominant for me to keep him, so its down to Bluetail, Easter, or the roo below I somehow missed last round of photos. (any name suggestions?)
For the girls, Blackbeak Larry (the notorious pullet prirate diva extrordinaire!) and Digit are keepers along with Puffy, Snowflake, and Sprinkles. Calli, Flecks, Goldy, and the red hens are in if they carry the size we are looking for and show potential for mottling. I am also hoping more mottling appears as they grow.
This weekend I will weigh and photograph everyone as I move them to the big chicken yard (have to make room in the grow out pen for the orps and sussexes who will be contributing to the project!)
So here's my other potential roo, so far nameless. Not that any of their names are permanent at this point.
29884_img_0727.jpg

29884_img_0783.jpg

And here's some detail of Bluetail's feathers
29884_img_0785.jpg

I like the no name roo....even with the black in the tail maybe it could be bred out sometime? but his patern is good I really like him. The others might or might not carry what you are looking for in the mottled genes but you can't know until you breed them...... but if you can only keep one definately i would go with the no name I think he is the best.

ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom