Who do you call for hurt duck at a city park?

Pinx

Songster
8 Years
May 18, 2011
Amarillo, Texas
My aunt told me that yesterday while she was at the park she saw a white duck with the 6 pack rings around his neck. She said it looks like it is very close to cutting into his neck. I am willing to go try to catch it, but I don't know if we can get it done with just me, my aunt, and my son. The lake at the park is pretty big and if it gets to the water there is no way we could get to it.

If we don't get it caught who would I call to take care of something like this? I've never done this so I don't know who would help... if that makes any sense.

try offering food to it, letting it get to trust you, and then have someone grab it from behind. I once saved a duck that had a hook and line in its bill. Some people are so careless.

My aunt told me that yesterday while she was at the park she saw a white duck with the 6 pack rings around his neck. She said it looks like it is very close to cutting into his neck. I am willing to go try to catch it, but I don't know if we can get it done with just me, my aunt, and my son. The lake at the park is pretty big and if it gets to the water there is no way we could get to it.

If we don't get it caught who would I call to take care of something like this? I've never done this so I don't know who would help... if that makes any sense.
if it's in the city call the parks department. more than likely they will just tell you to go ahead and help it, you'll need a large net . or you might call a water fowl rescue group. good luck Poor thing I hope you can help.

Well... she has one of the rings in her mouth then it is around her neck, and a second ring is around her neck. We talked to 2 girls that work at the park and they have been trying to catch her for a week. Our attempt at catching her failed. She keeps her distance and the geese were not helping at all. Just when she was almost in reach of us or the net the geese would come in like gang busters and she would back off. Any bit of pressure from us to get closer and she would head straight to the water.

When we left the girls were still trying to catch her.

She can eat though... The girls told us where they think they are sleeping at night so we are going to try to go back tonight and see if we can find her, and hopefully catch her.

This park is very trashy, I have even found a few hypo needles on the bank, in the bathrooms etc. It is also the place everyone seems to dump their ducks when they don't want them anymore. I'll be taking my husband with me (and the gun) cause I do not like going to that park after dark. Thanks for you help ladies. I will update if we get her caught, or figure out if one of the workers got her caught.

Awww, poor duck. Yep, know what you mean about being hard to catch a duck. We have a wild one with an orange ring around his neck for a year now that we haven't caught.

If you catch and remove the rings, you can probably take him or her to an animal shelter. Also, since you are still working on the problem and if you know someone nearby who is into duck rescue or a waterfowl shelter, now's the time to start sending emails or making phone calls. You may actually find a home if you can do that and bypass the animal shelter.

Last edited:
fl.gif

Awww, poor duck. Yep, know what you mean about being hard to catch a duck. We have a wild one with an orange ring around his neck for a year now that we haven't caught.

If you catch and remove the rings, you can probably take him or her to an animal shelter. Also, since you are still working on the problem and if you know someone nearby who is into duck rescue or a waterfowl shelter, now's the time to start sending emails or making phone calls. You may actually find a home if you can do that and bypass the animal shelter.

She is a Pekin duck, and you can tell she was someone's pet because she comes straight out of the water when she sees you... but there must have been quite a few people try to catch her because she stays just far enough away. I have plenty of room for another duck, if I get her caught I could bring her home. I don't even know why I didn't think about that. I'm worried about her getting an infection in that nasty water if the ring has cut into the skin.

It isn't illegal or anything to take a pekin from a lake right? I know there are some things you can't take, but I'm not sure about something that was dumped there to begin with.

It isn't illegal or anything to take a pekin from a lake right? I know there are some things you can't take, but I'm not sure about something that was dumped there to begin with.
In most areas no. Domestic ducks can be very bad for local species. You might want to talk to park officials first though

Back
Top Bottom