Who does hand sewing/working without a pattern?

The Chickens' Maid

Crowing
14 Years
May 2, 2009
CT
Hi, just curious if anyone else hand sews or likes to work sewing projects without a pattern? I've been sewing with a machine and by hand for about ten years. I've found that hand sewing is very calming for me.
Anybody else?

I try, its a new hobby. I've been sewing since I was about 8 but I've always used patterns. I figured I would try to do it without a pattern. What do you make?

I like making Halloween costumes for me and my sister. I also make clothes for myself. I was never able to understand patterns - don't know why; I just use already-made clothing as a template. What kinds of things do you like to make?

I make blankets, clothing, toys, ornaments, whatever looks fun. I love making jammies for my kids and niece and nephew. I made winter and summer jammies and matching robes two years ago for all of them and you would've thought I gave them gold.

I like to hand sew. I make quilt blocks. I find it is very calming as well. I don't think I have a finished product to show but I've made several different style quilt blocks that have patterns or not. If not, I'll draw it out and cut out templates for myself. It's been a while since I spent time doing hand work, except for a block swap on here that I'm involved in. I'm doing applique for it. I have five finished and have seven to go. If you'd like to see those, you can go to my profile page and click on the chicken block swap due June 15. As far as doing something just for the relaxation, I haven't in a while. I'm still adjusting to my bi-focal glasses and its a little bit difficult.

I do have a favorite quilting pattern. It's called French Star. I'll see if I can find some pictures of it to show you.

I'm not sure if I have any pictures of my niece and nephew in their jammies. I was actually worried about what I'd get them this year and came across this thread. What would be better than a gift from the heart? I would love to learn to sew the sunburst pattern so common with Quakers. It is such a lovely design.

I just finished this this morning. It is hand sew of course all ties pretty much have to be. I also made it w/o a pattern. I have made my husbands ties for years and have tried pattern after pattern and they are always complicated at the point, I think to add to the mystique of it all, but I had an idea for a simpler version and really like how it turned out.

The fabric is a faux suede w/ a shiny almost plastisized print

Back
Top Bottom