Who else hates being addressed as Ms

I've been called alot worse, lots worse.
gig.gif

Quote:
I was taught that Ms is appropriate when you don't know the subject's marital status or when writing a business letter.

Also, for a married woman who keeps her maiden name, neither Miss nor Mrs seems appropriate.

Being a Northerner I never used ma'am as a kid, but having lived all over the U.S. I've picked it up. I use it regardless of age, with the exception of children of course.

Quote:
I was taught that Ms is appropriate when you don't know the subject's marital status or when writing a business letter.

Also, for a married woman who keeps her maiden name, neither Miss nor Mrs seems appropriate.

Being a Northerner I never used ma'am as a kid, but having lived all over the U.S. I've picked it up. I use it regardless of age, with the exception of children of course.

Interesting . . . Ma'am makes grown women feel old; but makes young girls feel grown up!

If I am talking to anyone whos name I don't know... (Like employees in a store/restaurant/ect) I always say "Miss" or "Sir". I never use mam, because my mom always said it sounded old. I also say "Sir" because I have heard "Mister" used disrespectfully a number of times.

My chickens are,

Sir Velvet
Lady Sparkle
Lady Star
Lady Snuggle
Lady Angel

I wouldn't mind being addressed as "My Lady" !!
gig.gif

Though I would never call a person "My Lord"... so Sir will just have to do!
wink.png

If I know someones name.. now that I am an adult.. I will call them by their first name. We are all on equal footing so I don't see the merit in deference.

Quote:

Interesting . . . Ma'am makes grown women feel old; but makes young girls feel grown up!

around here everyone is a ma'am or sir, even when a girl is being scolded a lot of the scolder wills tart off by saying " No ma'am you may not!" or "No ma'am you get right back here!" same with the boys " No sir, i don't think so, you go sight to time out!" " No SIR! Un uh! you do not behave that way!"

Quote:

around here everyone is a ma'am or sir, even when a girl is being scolded a lot of the scolder wills tart off by saying " No ma'am you may not!" or "No ma'am you get right back here!" same with the boys " No sir, i don't think so, you go sight to time out!" " No SIR! Un uh! you do not behave that way!"

ACK! That is so true....I cringed when I read it....I so do this, as do both my daughters....haha It sounds like my mother wrote it!

Isn't miss and ms. pronounced the same? I always thought ms. was a shortened version of miss. I also thought that women started ms and mrs because the married women felt like they were better since they had a man in their life.

Quote:
Mrs. is "missus", and indicates that the woman is married. Miss indicates that the woman is not now, nor has ever been, married. Ms. is pronounced more like "mizz", and is supposedly used for a woman who is divorced or when you aren't certain if she is a Miss or a Mrs, or if she requests to be addressed in that manner as a high school teacher I had insisted upon. You would get in big trouble if you ever called her a Mrs.

Technically, it has been considered proper for some time now to address a woman as "Ms." unless directed to do so otherwise, though that certainly seems to be falling to the wayside in recent years.

Back
Top Bottom