who else hates coyote's?

llxll00llxll

Songster
12 Years
Aug 27, 2007
::So Cal::
the saturday after thanksgiving.... i walked outside about 8:30am to see in the coop.. feathers everywhere...so i went into the coop and found all my chickens dead
sad.png
then i walked out to check on my bantam flock in there coop...and found them all dead...
sad.png
the egg my one hen was brooding on died in the cold... those rancid coyote's wittingly dug under my main fence in the backyard.. ripped a gaping hole in the chicken wire on the smaller coop and forced through the fence on the bigger coop... so i lost all my chickens...i believed...i found one RIR pullet alive and traumatized with a hurt leg...and squirt my small golden colored bantam hiding behind the food containers...she blended in and got out alive.. i lost the pullet she died... squirts still alive... and i got 2 new chickens...1 RIR roo and 1 RIR hen... im gonna get revenge on them coyote's

Are you sure it was coyotes and not dogs? Around here the coyotes will take one and run off. They'll probably make a return in the coming days, but I've never seen them hang around and do that much damage at one time....dogs will do that tho.

Quote:
WOW! I am SO sorry for your loss. That's terrible.

We have A LOT of coyotes out here. I just don't take chances with my birds. Besides the fenced in run, I close their hatch at sundown. I much rather they're mad at me in the morning (especially, when I sleep in) than to lose any of them.

Do you leave them open throughout the night? Or do you close them up too?

I have a deep respect for all predators and try to be smarter than them...(which can be a challenge for me at times LOL!) but by following my practice, I've not lost ONE bird to a coyote.

Cheer up and again, I am sorry!

Pedro~:-V

i never locked them up... but now...i shove the 3 i have in the box i built above the ground... and close them in.. i also laid fence down inside the pen so nothing can dig under.. theres tons of coyote's here...i live on a mountain in the boonies..

First I am SO sorry for your loss......... I have had coyotes come in front yard, on front porch and had to shoot one that was just WAY to close.......maybe something other than chicken wire? Geesh I hate to hear of such loss......
sad.png

I agree th at it doesn't sound like coyotes. They kill to feed themselves. Sounds like a dog got in just to mess around.

That being said, I love to listen to the coyotes singing on a summer's night, but only as long as they are not anywhere near my property.

Last year I heard a commotion outside and ran out to see a small coyote running across a field with my barred rock hen in it's mouth- if it wouldn't have been my chicken, I would have laughed because the chicken was almost as big as the coyote! I lose a few chickens every year because these guys have learned to come by in the afternoon when my chickens are free ranging. And they always seem to get the favorites.
In the past I have found that shooting at them with bird shot on a regular basis will teach them to hunt elsewhere. The same works with the raccoons. I just make sure that I'm not too close to do anything but sting their backsides.

Elizabeth

I'm very sorry that you lost all your chickens except for "lucky".

Just this morning on the news they had a story about all of these cats coming up mutilated and like half gone. They were very concerned about a "sick" individual doing this so they put up a few hidden cameras and caught a coyote red handed. It was so spooky looking. I hate them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom