Who else is waiting for that first egg?

Heard one of my 21-week-old Welsummer hens making sounds I haven't heard before. She was in the coop breathing with her mouth open; looked uncomfortable; thought it might be the heat. Suddenly she went upstairs and into a nest box and started rearranging the furniture. I have 3 nest boxes: one with straw, one with leaves, and one with pine shavings. She chose the one with straw. I got tired of waiting for the BWAAHCK! and left.

Question: Is mouth breathing something they do when they're ready to lay? Or is it just the heat (about 87F right now)?

Update: Just went back to check. She's still sitting on the nest repeating the sound quickly with her mouth open.

Last edited:
Those first eggs can take a while to finally hit the nest.
The mouth breathing is most likely panting. The heat is awful on chickens. Mine start panting at about 75 degrees.

We are at 95 right now where I am. Poor little feathered monsters. I gave mine watermelon when I got home yesterday so I am out of it today. May go turn the sprinkler on the run. We have low humidity here so it helps. Not such a good thing if one lives where it is humid. Makes for steamed chickens.

First egg today..definitely one of my red sex links...she's been squatting for a week. 20 weeks & 5 days old. Have one other sex link,4 barred rocks & 4 RIR. THINK others may be weeks behind. Didn't lay in one of my boxes but close. All have fake eggs in them. Maybe she'll soon learn to lay where other eggs are.

I just checked the coop and I got my first egg....not sure who laid it but it was one of my 19.5 week old Easter Eggers. So excited! It's small but cute
1f60a.png

I just want to fast forward a little so I can get my first egg!  My girls are only 15 weeks old but I am really excited for that first egg! I know I probly have to wait another month or two.

I have
3 Dominiques 
3silver laced wyandottes
3 buff orpingtons
3 East eggers
3 Welsummers

I think my Dominiques will be first to lay.  Whats your guess? 

I am pretty sure my Easter eggers will be the last to lay because they are the ones I am most excited about.  And thats just my luck.

A few of our girls are laying. We were shocked and wasn't expecting any eggs for a few weeks yet. We have 12 rhoad Island Reds and 6 barred rocks. - we are getting about 6 a day so far. They were all born the the first week in April.

Those first eggs can take a while to finally hit the nest.
The mouth breathing is most likely panting. The heat is awful on chickens. Mine start panting at about 75 degrees.

We are at 95 right now where I am. Poor little feathered monsters. I gave mine watermelon when I got home yesterday so I am out of it today. May go turn the sprinkler on the run. We have low humidity here so it helps. Not such a good thing if one lives where it is humid. Makes for steamed chickens.
Are you in a heat advisory? 95 normal for you right now? We're at 100 with monsoon moisture all week. My poor girls are panting like crazy. Not in distress but really miserable. No wonder they don't want to start laying. Yeppers on the watermelon! Mine got that yesterday and today. I minced refrigerated squash from my leftover garden (heat destroyed it) that seemed to cool them too. I made this nipple waterer too, it's working great. Water stays so cold for them for days. Still no eggs here, so I'll post a pic of the waterer.

Back
Top Bottom