Who else is waiting for that first egg?

Ok i know i keep posting with hopes of the first egg annnny day now! I know my little leghorn is gonna pop one out anny moment!... The other day my boyfriend sent me a pic before i got home from work, of an egg set on shavings- my forst thought was "omg an egg!!!", second thought-"that jerk found the first egg!!!!!", and third thought- "wait a second i've been using hay in the nesting boxes...." He tried to trick me!!! No first egg yet... But i did switch some boxes to shavings yesterday, thet just destroyed the hay and i am hoping shavings will be a bit more enticing! Eeeeek

My girls are about 5 months old and have not started laying yet. They have been through a lot recenly though, and between the heat and stress, i understand.

Started with 6 girls, then about a month ago one of the girls started crowing. That week he died to a neighbor dog. So they no more free range and i was given a rooster. All but one of my now 5 girls hated him, but he finally won thevrest over.

Then I built then a nice large fenced in area to be able to run and flap their wings, but safer from the dogs.

Then lost one to something that waited until dark, crawled past the rooster into the henhouse, pulled out oneof the girls, jumped the fence, then got scared away.

The now 4 girls and my rooster weere nervous, then two days ago it happpened again.

So now I am down to three chickens, one rooster, and a parinoid self that checks every time one of my dogs bark.

Hopefully, the first egg will come soon!

Last night I got 1 small egg, nothing this morning. It's been really hot/humid so maybe my girls aren't "regular" yet. Anyone else have a great 1st round and nothing for 2 days?

Today was the day. Layed right outside the nest box. I'll need about 3-4 more of these for a meal. Egg on right is XL store-bought for comparison.

Last edited:
I've been getting 1 egg a day now for the past 10 days. The problem is I have 10 hens (RIR's) but I'm only getting 1 egg a day. The other problem is the eggs are really small. How long before the eggs will get bigger? And when should I start getting more then 1 egg per day? Thanks in advance for any help

Last edited:
My girls are about 5 months old and have not started laying yet. They have been through a lot recenly though, and between the heat and stress, i understand.

Started with 6 girls, then about a month ago one of the girls started crowing. That week he died to a neighbor dog. So they no more free range and i was given a rooster. All but one of my now 5 girls hated him, but he finally won thevrest over.

Then I built then a nice large fenced in area to be able to run and flap their wings, but safer from the dogs.

Then lost one to something that waited until dark, crawled past the rooster into the henhouse, pulled out oneof the girls, jumped the fence, then got scared away.

The now 4 girls and my rooster weere nervous, then two days ago it happpened again.

So now I am down to three chickens, one rooster, and a parinoid self that checks every time one of my dogs bark.

Hopefully, the first egg will come soon!
Wow, you have been thru a lot lately. Really sorry something is getting in. You might want to get a trail can and set out at night. I have one and put it out sometimes at night just to see if anything is coming around. We have lots of coyotes, raccoons, etc. Good luck and hang in there.

I've been getting 1 egg a day now for the past 10 days. The problem is I have 10 hens (RIR's) but I'm only getting 1 egg a day. The other problem is the eggs are really small. How long before the eggs will get bigger? And when should I start getting more then 1 egg per day? Thanks in advance for any help
Curious how old your RIR are. I am thinking my RIR might be the first to lay but only 16-17 weeks

We tried putting golf balls in the nest box...the next morning, instead of hearing "buck buck buck" we heard "putt putt putt"...okay, it was the wife's joke...still funny!
yuckyuck.gif

Mine hatched sometime in June! (Lol I'm not that organized like you guys) so… @2 months

RIR
Buffington
Barred rock
19 chickens total (separating roosters about 3 or 4 days)
I can't wait for eggs!

Two of my 20-something week old Barred Rocks have really bright red combs and wattles....the other one, the runt, is still a pale pink. I am expecting something from the two big girls before the middle of August. Maybe put a pin-up of Foghorn Leghorn in the nesting box to get them going? I say, that boy is as sharp as a bowling ball.

Back
Top Bottom