Who else is waiting for that first egg?

I'm not really sure how to check that. I try not to pick them up a lot now that they are bigger because if they struggle I'm afraid I'll hurt them. That and I drop everything I pick up. When I collect eggs from the one chicken that is laying I have to concentrate real hard from the coop to the house if I dont... I'll drop it!
right under their vent/egg hole lol if you press you can feel two points. Put your fingers in between those points/pelvic bones if you can fit more than two fingers you are really close. When I checked my first she was about two and a half fingers apart she started laying within a week of me checking. The other was just about three fingers apart and she layed the next day. Don't worry about hurting them to much. Mine flap out of my hands all of the time and never get hurt. They have videos on YouTube on how to check their pelvic bones so you know exactly what you're doing.

My hen gave me not 1 but 2 eggs on her first go (today) she is a RIR my gf went to get the eggs and my roo and hen flipped out on her.

Success after waiting so long!!! One of my RSL decided today was the day!!

It HAPPENED today!! Nothing this morning before work, and I just let the girls out to range and this beautiful (small) egg was in the nesting box, right next to one of the golf balls!!! 22 week Buff Orps; Meringue was my first to lay. Now I'm waiting on Frittata and Omelette!
Congrats! Love the names and sign.It never gets old[for me anyway] to go out and find ''a present''.

I thought it was stressful waiting for that first egg, but now that I have had 3 in 5 days, I find myself constantly checking the coop for eggs. I bet I checked 8 times today. I only have one laying so far and I am not sure which one... I think I have gone egg crazy... Might need an intervention.

First egg ever was a Barred Rock.

Then came eggs fro SLW and tiny bantams, then EE's and more bantams.

Now I await my little trio...A brown leghorn....my first truly white egg!!! and a Cochin and an Australorp.

I didn't read every post, but to the OP, I would bet money on the Wyandottes!

It never gets old, the hurry up and wait!

I thought it was stressful waiting for that first egg, but now that I have had 3 in 5 days, I find myself constantly checking the coop for eggs. I bet I checked 8 times today. I only have one laying so far and I am not sure which one... I think I have gone egg crazy... Might need an intervention.
LOL!! This is ME! After my first egg two days ago, I was sure I'd have another one yesterday. I checked, and re-checked, then I checked again.

I got my first egg yesterday when I got home. I checked this morning before I came to work and I had another one. Not sure if I have two laying or if the one is laying as soon as she comes off the roost. Either way I'm excited about getting my first eggs.

So yesterday I gave my chickens a choice, I want 3 eggs by tomorrow or Thursday there will be a mandatory egg laying seminar. Now I have one daily layer, one that laid her first egg four days ago and nothing since, and six free loading teasers. They must not have wanted to attend my seminar because I came home from a 16 hour shift to three eggs! And one was a first time lay. Way to go Eggs

Back
Top Bottom