Who else is waiting for that first egg?

It HAPPENED today!! Nothing this morning before work, and I just let the girls out to range and this beautiful (small) egg was in the nesting box, right next to one of the golf balls!!! 22 week Buff Orps; Meringue was my first to lay. Now I'm waiting on Frittata and Omelette!
Congratulations, pretty exciting isn't it.

I just got my first egg yesterday. Have been waiting anxiously for 3 weeks and it finally happened. My Australorp gave me the beauty at 22 weeks and one day. I am still waiting for my Delaware, not looking for it for a few weeks yet. I am inclosing a photo of my Delaware also. Not sure when the Delaware's are supposed to start laying, I guess I will have to check that out.

I started 14 baby chicks, lost one within hours of arrival and one turned out to be a rooster, sold him. My daughter took the remaining ten. She has 4 Red Starr, 4 Barred Rock, a White Rock and 1 Delaware. The Red Stars began laying at 19 weeks and the Barred Rock were soon to follow. Not sure if the Delaware and the White Rock are laying yet. I just got back from visiting her in Oregon and I had a ball collecting eggs from her hen house.

Photos of my 2 girls...

Our chickens are so silly! NO ONE (other than the ducks) lays in the nesting box in the coop. They prefer the garage & under the hostas. I know I should keep them in the pen to get them to lay in the boxes, but when I let them out of the coop & not the pen they cluck and get all loud. My soft spot lets them out.

These are my hamburgs and barnevelder crosses. The other girls are Cochins so I don't expect them to lay for a while. I don't think heat would be an issue for them as they are in the shade when it hot but i do live in Southern California.
Love those black and white ones! Beautiful girls!
It HAPPENED today!! Nothing this morning before work, and I just let the girls out to range and this beautiful (small) egg was in the nesting box, right next to one of the golf balls!!! 22 week Buff Orps; Meringue was my first to lay. Now I'm waiting on Frittata and Omelette!
Awesome! Love their coop sign! And beautiful egg! That's too cool

Last edited:
It finally happened!! My SL Wyandotte laid her first egg today!! She's 23 weeks old.
It's tiny but perfect.
I found her in the nest box this morning. She's been squatting almost a week.
However, I found the egg in the run.
Ok now my other 3 need to follow after her.

Here's the pic. I have very small hands.

I'm beginning to think one of my Easter egger is barren. She had been squatting for like 20 days and no eggs. Her comb is still pinkish but turns red when she is excited. She eats and drinks fine... poop looks good. Should I be worried? I have 3 EE and none are laying but she is the only one that has been squatting.

I do say they sound like they have you trained well.

Do they still holler if you give them some sort of treat in the run?

Yes. If I have to leave and cant let them free range I clean their water dishes & fill them along with their food dishes. Give them treats and they still holler to come out. When their big coop is finished I was thinking about putting in a coop door opener that is solar powered in hopes that might make them happy.

We got our first one today. Not sure which one of the girls laid it though.

I took a double-take because it was in a nest box beside the fake wooden eggs I had in there.

Back
Top Bottom