Who else is waiting for that first egg?

Sounds like your chickens should lay off the corn....probably not a coincidence....

Yes I don't think it is. I'm pretty sure the same bird that just laid the softy laid another much smaller one in the run. Which I'd almost exactly what happened last time I found 1 whole softy in the poop under the roost and one broken one. Almost surly from the same bird. It's just seems so bizarre to me. We ate the same corn... what's happening to my my eggs???
1f61e.png
1f632.png
1f623.png

Is it possible feeding sweet corn to new layers will cause a soft shelled egg? It seems like every time we feed the girls sweet corn I get at least one softy. I cut them off from all "treats" about a month ago because I got 3 or 4 of them. Then yesterday they had an ear and like magic I got another. That's the first one since I cut off the treats
Soft shelled eggs are pretty common in new layers for the first few weeks/months, even when they have calcium available. Some hens will lay soft shelled eggs every now and then throughout their lives. Do you have crushed oyster shell available?

Soft shelled eggs are pretty common in new layers for the first few weeks/months, even when they have calcium available. Some hens will lay soft shelled eggs every now and then throughout their lives. Do you have crushed oyster shell available?

Yes and laying feed. The chicken that laid the soft one I see regularly snacking on the shells. She has a big beak and flings them everywhere. She also had the same behavior as her sister( one of my other Americans) who was having trouble laying a textured egg which also happened to be her first egg.

Last edited:
Well.... my wait is finally over! yay! Someone I don't know who or which breed...laid her first egg
wee.gif
from the early April chicks I bought.. Possibly an Australorp egg since they seemed to develop combs and wattles 2 weeks ago at age 17weeks? Or one of the 20 week old Barred Rocks? could remotely possibly be a Cinnamon Queen at 20 weeks, but the CQ combs are just barely showing a color change so far. ...but which-ever-one!!! yay! me!....errrr... yay pullet!! lol
It was already cold, but definitely laid today, and after 10:30am when I checked last. Light tan-ish brown with a very slight pinkish tone?
Just think!!..it only cost me $250
lau.gif
for this first small egg. Hopefully there will be tons more to get that per egg cost somewhat lower...
roll.png

Well.... my wait is finally over! yay! Someone I don't know who or which breed...laid her first egg :weee from the early April chicks I bought.. Possibly an Australorp egg since they seemed to develop combs and wattles 2 weeks ago at age 17weeks? Or one of the 20 week old Barred Rocks? could remotely possibly be a Cinnamon Queen at 20 weeks, but the CQ combs are just barely showing a color change so far. ...but which-ever-one!!! yay! me!....errrr... yay pullet!! lol It was already cold, but definitely laid today, and after 10:30am when I checked last. Light tan-ish brown with a very slight pinkish tone? Just think!!..it only cost me $250 :lau for this first small egg. Hopefully there will be tons more to get that per egg cost somewhat lower... :rolleyes:
Only $250 for your first one?! You got off cheap! Congrats!

Back
Top Bottom