Who else is waiting for that first egg?

You people are driving me crazy.... #NotQuiteSixWeeksAndImpatient.
1f609.png

Wow. Just got our second egg. Arrow has been in the nesting box for awhile. She finally laid her first egg. Just a shade darker and little larger then CoCo beans.

Coco's on the left ,arrows on the right.

You people are driving me crazy.... #NotQuiteSixWeeksAndImpatient.
1f609.png

LOL!! Wait until your chickens get closer to laying. That's the real definition of impatient! The red combs and all the squatting, checking the nest boxes every 30 minutes because you don't want them to lay an egg and break it and you keep coming up empty because they haven't laid an egg yet.
barnie.gif
Then you start running low on store bought eggs and you're afraid to buy more because your chickens will go into production mode while you're at the store and you might come home and find a coop full of eggs. This egg business is maddening!

Well, my one buff orp that I thought was ready to lay surprised me with a first today--not a first egg but a first rooster crow instead. She (he) is 15 weeks old--is it normal for a rooster to wait that long to crow?

I had a closer look after the crow and realized that I have been ignoring a lot of signs. We'll chalk it up to being a rookie :)

I think our little leghorn is ready. I feed them this morning and she climbed up on one of the tall branches we have in their run and told me a story just clucking away. And when I got home from work and went pet her she did a super squat. Hope she lays me an egg for my birthday...

Well, my one buff orp that I thought was ready to lay surprised me with a first today--not a first egg but a first rooster crow instead. She (he) is 15 weeks old--is it normal for a rooster to wait that long to crow?

I had a closer look after the crow and realized that I have been ignoring a lot of signs. We'll chalk it up to being a rookie
smile.png
At 15 weeks old, a Buff Orpington pullet would be just starting to develop in the comb and turn red. They aren't known to be an early producing breed.

We got our first egg from one of our barnyard mixes yesterday. (The egg on the left.) Now we wait for the rest of our flock to catch up.

We have 12 chickens all different ages and breeds. Only 3 of them are laying so far and it's looking like a few of them may be cockerels :(. Only time will tell.

I had a closer look after the crow and realized that I have been ignoring a lot of signs. We'll chalk it up to being a rookie :)

My rooster just started crowing this week he is RIR and is 14 weeks old. It is sounding better each day. Love hearing it in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom