Who else is waiting for that first egg?

I love this thread! Waiting patiently here in PA too. We did adopt 4 older girls from an elderly man's family after he was moved to a care facility. These Biddies are giving us about 2-3 eggs a day, but we're so anxious for the Littles to lay. My sweet daughter (age 4) goes down to the coop every morning around 10 to "see if her egg is ready yet" and it promptly gets cooked to her liking. She calls it her mid-breakfast.

First little eggs today! YAY! :)

BTW my husband just had to be the one to find them and rub it in by sending me this pic while I am at work.

Last edited:

This is my haul for the last 3 days. Looks like I am up to 5 of my 7 girls laying. One more isn't even close (no squatting etc) and another that may join the group at any time. The rest of my group is about 16 weeks old; however, one girl is already squatting and sticking close to the boxes!!! I am so thrilled everyday!!!

Looking Good! Have you cooked any yet? I save the shells, collect enough, bake them and crush them up and feed them back to my girls!

So, I live in Michigan where they have found traces of the bird flu. I have 6 ISA Browns. They are 17 weeks old. I live in the middle of nowhere on a dead end dirt road. Should I be worried about them getting it? And what are some signs and symptoms of it in the birds?

Congrats on your who have gotten your first eggs. Mine are still holding out. I haven't noticed any squatting that I can think of. *sigh* Mine ranges from 19 wk to 16 to 17 weeks. Two have very red combs and wattles. The rest have pretty red faces but their combs are not very red.

So, I live in Michigan where they have found traces of the bird flu. I have 6 ISA Browns. They are 17 weeks old. I live in the middle of nowhere on a dead end dirt road. Should I be worried about them getting it? And what are some signs and symptoms of it in the birds?

Read this link below. Its a link to a PDF document about the bird flu. Should answer your questions. Basically its transmitted by fluids saliva, poo, nasal fluids) from the infected bird (turkeys, ducks, chickens, wild or domestic). It can also be transferred via equipment used by or for chickens. So going from one flock area to another could transfer the virus if its present in one flock. To reduce the chance of infection in my isolated back yard flock I decided not to introduce any new birds to my flock unless they hatch from my flock. With my last set of new birds, I kept them isolated from the existing birds for 6 weeks just to be sure they didn't show signs of any illnesses before putting them together. It seems to be much more prevalent in commercial farms but there are some members on here who have had their birds test positive for the flu. Best defense is to keep an isolated flock isolated. I won't be buying any new birds for a while. Good thing I kept a couple of roosters around.

Due to the flu and its impact on egg production, some grocery stores have been limiting the number of eggs customers can buy. My wife showed me an article 2 days ago where a Rita's Water Ice (regional chain of ice cream stores) is no longer carrying certain products due to the need for eggs in that product and the impact the flu has had on the egg farming industry.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...WC8fI-CXStwR4R4Jg&sig2=g9lY7gpq5sbZ2kPbrpwl0g

Last edited:
I'm new girl...from Rhode Island. My husband & I have 6 chickens at about 22 weeks old. Waiting eagerly for our first eggs too! We think they're so spoiled that they think they don't need to work for it. Ha ha! Open to any tips, so feel free! Thanks!

I didn't get an egg yet at 19 weeks 3 days, but the lady I split this batch of chickens with just got an egg. Mine shouldn't be too far behing ( I hope, fingers crossed).

Back
Top Bottom