Who else is waiting for that first egg?

I've just been asking friends and family to save cartons for me as well as the ones I've been saving. One of the girls actually laid her first egg today!

I got my first egg last week from our 18 week old Buff Orpington and it was so awesome!!! It was very small and perfectly brown. She laid one everyday after until I removed the decoy ping pong ball from her chosen box, then no egg, returned the ping pong ball and within hours she laid an left it snuggled up to the ping pong ball so I guess I will leave the ball in there. Last night at 11pm I went out to check the coop and found my Amerucana outside at the coop door squawking, the buff was guarding the entrance an refusing to let her in so I intervened. Today I found the coolest blue egg in the box! Which can only be the first egg from the Amerucana! So I wonder could my two newly laying hens be fighting now because of their hormones?? Kinda crabby like women get lol!? I've never had issues like that till now. Seeing that egg for the first time is soon exciting an everyday there are more is just as fun. I have 5 more hens that have yet to lay their first but any day now! They have all been squatting for days!

Still no eggs... but this evening when I went out to check for eggs and check the food and water and there stood one of my eastereggers and the leghorn squatting behind me like they were bowing to their queen lol. Then I saw one of the Plymouth rocks do it... all of them but the 2 rir and 1 Plymouth rock squatted tonight. Woooooowhoooooo!

Mine will be 17 weeks tomorrow and I'm still waiting for my first eggs. Some of them started squatting today! I'm so excited! I'm so envious of everyone's first eggs!

Got my first one today. So excited. But it was layed out side under the covered area by the food. Hopefully they find my finely crafted nesting boxes
1f601.png

My first 2 or 3 eggs were in random places in the coop or in the run. I put 2 fake eggs in each nest box and they started laying in box after that.

2 days ago I got an egg from the EE. Sadly it was broken and in the run. I found it at closing time and it was already getting pretty dark. I think it was blue. Could have been a green one still. The silly Delaware AKA my egg eater stole the shell as I was walking through her side of the run. She had it gone so fast I did not even get a little piece of the shell to see what color it was in the light. I am hoping for a second egg from her soon. There are 2 others that are squatting out of the newer chickens too. Both of them are Partridge rocks age is 19 weeks as of this coming Friday. I have to toss up a pic of the EE since I think she is oddly colored and quite pretty. This is Victoria she is also 19 weeks on Friday.
Beautiful!!

Here is one of my Cherry Egger girls, Birdie, that I suspect will be laying any day now. She will be 17 weeks tomarrow. At least I hope she's about to lay and not crow!! Lol!
ep.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom