Who else is waiting for that first egg?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kylea0219, May 19, 2015.

1. glasschick

glasschick New Egg

Apr 6, 2015
    I've just been asking friends and family to save cartons for me as well as the ones I've been saving. One of the girls actually laid her first egg today!

2. mamabchicks

mamabchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2015
    Holcomb, KS
    I got my first egg last week from our 18 week old Buff Orpington and it was so awesome!!! It was very small and perfectly brown. She laid one everyday after until I removed the decoy ping pong ball from her chosen box, then no egg, returned the ping pong ball and within hours she laid an left it snuggled up to the ping pong ball so I guess I will leave the ball in there. Last night at 11pm I went out to check the coop and found my Amerucana outside at the coop door squawking, the buff was guarding the entrance an refusing to let her in so I intervened. Today I found the coolest blue egg in the box! Which can only be the first egg from the Amerucana! So I wonder could my two newly laying hens be fighting now because of their hormones?? Kinda crabby like women get lol!? I've never had issues like that till now. Seeing that egg for the first time is soon exciting an everyday there are more is just as fun. I have 5 more hens that have yet to lay their first but any day now! They have all been squatting for days!

3. Ldensmore

Ldensmore Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2015
    Mid Michigan
    Ahhhh! My chickens started laying last Friday. I have only got 3 since then. They have not layed the last 2 days. Hoping for one today.

4. jonezjollyfarm

jonezjollyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2015
    Illinois
    Still no eggs... but this evening when I went out to check for eggs and check the food and water and there stood one of my eastereggers and the leghorn squatting behind me like they were bowing to their queen lol. Then I saw one of the Plymouth rocks do it... all of them but the 2 rir and 1 Plymouth rock squatted tonight. Woooooowhoooooo!

5. diana507

diana507 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2015
    Central Maine
    Mine will be 17 weeks tomorrow and I'm still waiting for my first eggs. Some of them started squatting today! I'm so excited! I'm so envious of everyone's first eggs!

6. Sand blister

Sand blister Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2015
    Montville NJ
    Got my first one today. So excited. But it was layed out side under the covered area by the food. Hopefully they find my finely crafted nesting boxes [​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. mechanic57

mechanic57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2014
    My first 2 or 3 eggs were in random places in the coop or in the run. I put 2 fake eggs in each nest box and they started laying in box after that.

8. Sand blister

Sand blister Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2015
    Montville NJ
    Great idea. Will do that tomorrow morning.

9. lizzychick

lizzychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Chicago Suburbs
    Beautiful!!

10. MrsEskew

MrsEskew Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2015
    Arkansas!!
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Here is one of my Cherry Egger girls, Birdie, that I suspect will be laying any day now. She will be 17 weeks tomarrow. At least I hope she's about to lay and not crow!! Lol! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by