Who else is waiting for that first egg?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kylea0219, May 19, 2015.

1. king tail

king tail Show Jumping Dreamer

Oct 6, 2014
    Godric's Hollow
    My white leghorns started laying!!!!!!!!!!!!! but today i got the smallest egg i have ever seen!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. lizzychick

lizzychick Songster

Aug 11, 2014
    Chicago Suburbs
    How itty bitty and fun to find!! :)

3. Granny368W

Granny368W Chirping

Jun 14, 2015
    that makes it all worth the waiting... socute!

4. OldMissionChick

OldMissionChick Songster

Mar 2, 2015
    Northern Michigan
    Got another green one from our EE :) The girls have identified which EE it is. Fingers crossed our other one lays a different colored one :) and another RIR has made her own "nest" one the second shelf next to the door in the garage lol. All the "egg singing" drives the dog crazy! Like "mother hen" worried about the chickens lol. She even MUST go with me to check the nesting boxes not in the coop/run.

1 person likes this.
  5. jonezjollyfarm

jonezjollyfarm Songster

Apr 19, 2015
    Illinois

Our black lab is the same way. Rain. Or shine he has to go and do some laps around the coop. Counting his babies.

6. OldMissionChick

OldMissionChick Songster

Mar 2, 2015
    Northern Michigan
    When we first got them as day old chicks she wanted to lick / eat them. She is after all a bird dog (spaniel mix) so I have been afraid to let her out unattended if they are out if there run. But she has been really good about leaving them be unless we are flushing them out of the woods to go back in their run if we need to leave or at night if they hadn't already done so.

7. chasiekitten12

chasiekitten12 Chirping

Aug 19, 2014
    1st egg yay I got it yesterday and it was super small lol so cute and today we got another we know who they are from Rocky yes a hen but not sure about todays it was slighty bigger and a slightly different color do you thing it was both the same hen or no?

8. jonezjollyfarm

jonezjollyfarm Songster

Apr 19, 2015
    Illinois

Yeah I still don't exactly trust him with them. We also have a pit chow mix that I think is a direct decedent of. Dingo... she is not to be trusted. But I think if they really wanted to eat them they would have done it by now.

1 person likes this.
  9. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Crossing the Road Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    It could have been. As they begin to lay the egg size will increase over the next few weeks or so and the colors change a bit as the process settles in. Congrats on two eggs in two days from the new layer(s).

10. chasiekitten12

chasiekitten12 Chirping

Aug 19, 2014
    Thanks and good luck to you too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by